Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also great finds. I too really like bullets, my favorite bullets are Gardner's. My favorite lead of all are carved bullets which I've been fortunate to have found several. Check out my albums in my profile if you're interested.
Thanks for sharing

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love -em all , My fav;s are Enfield's , Gardner's , BIG 69 or 70 cal,s , Then GA Teat's.
Ill take any Civil War Bullet .

Trying to ID some 22 cal's from a late war Calvary camp.

I love all these new pictures I have not seen yet , but Now I got to go Swing the Coil ....I will return ASAP.

Thanks for posting. Joe G from MD.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love civil war lead also buddy. I hunt the same area's you do. Gettysburg retreat & a little bit of Antietam campaigns. Nice finds.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of my favorite bullet finds are carved bullets. I have several game pieces and a nice 14 Corps badge carved by a Yank. These are special and a very personal relic when found to know that some soldier took the time over 150 years ago to craft these pieces from lead Minnie balls.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my favorite bullet finds are carved bullets. I have several game pieces and a nice 14 Corps badge carved by a Yank. These are special and a very personal relic when found to know that some soldier took the time over 150 years ago to craft these pieces from lead Minnie balls.

I love Carved also ,(that goes w/o saying), .
I have dug several carved on bullets but nothing I can think of as being any certain thing (maybe tho) ill have to inventory my finds Esp, those from 17-18 years ago ( I learned much since then).

My point , it's cool Devildog that you got a 14th Corps 'Acorn'. I have yet to come across one , I see guys dig 1 or 2 a year 'that I know of'. Some are crude some are pieces of art but all are priceless for the reasons you describe.

There are some fine examples in this months issue of American Digger mag.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 14th Corps badge that I found was different from some that I've seen. A lot of the bullets carved that I have seen used the bullets whole form and the carved whittled the bullet towards the base to form the cap part of the acorn and the bullet tip or point to be the bottom portion of the acorn. The badge I found was pounded flat and smoothed down (I don't know how this was done). The carver then carved the acorn from the flattened lead and took a fine blade and carved the ridge across the top simulating the acorns cap or crown. This piece is so thin and fine that I had at first thought this was worn on a hat or jacket, but there was nothing on the backside to where this could have been sewn or attached. Maybe the soldier was simply carrying it in his pocket and it was lost. This is one of my favorite bullets or carved bullets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread