Austrian.

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Austrian bayonet on Antietam Battlefield. Also found 26 bullets in one hole. 24 were .69cal. and four were .58cal. My brother already posted them for me. [bullet spill]. Found a finial and one percussion cap. Alas no box plate. Was hunting about 40 yards away their was a lot of surface junk [barbedwire and nails] Was scraping away junk with my boot when this bayonet stood straight up!

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 66
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is GREAT!!!!! That is how I found mine, scraped the leaves back to make sure there wasn't a plow point or something of the such under them and the socket rolled up. You could of knocked me over with a feather...d2

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've have to ask, you said, "Found this Austrian bayonet on Antietam Battlefield". Is there an approved dig on the battlefield?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JoeG, Fantastic Find of the bayonette. Are you FF1's brother? I read the post about the bullet spill. A super find indeed.

OP
OP
Joe G from Md

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First question. NO this was found on private land. Thanks for the interest, SD51. Next question, yes, FF1 is my brother. Thanks devldog.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am JoeG's older brother. He has an awesome collection of artifacts from colonial on up and the reason for that is he stayed in Maryland a lot longer than I did. I left in 1969 and only returned for vacation every couple years. If I had stayed he wouldn't have near as many finds because I would have either found them first or I would have taken them from him!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am JoeG's older brother. He has an awesome collection of artifacts from colonial on up and the reason for that is he stayed in Maryland a lot longer than I did. I left in 1969 and only returned for vacation every couple years. If I had stayed he wouldn't have near as many finds because I would have either found them first or I would have taken them from him!

LOL!!!

Fantastic Bayonet .

I have never found one.

FWIW
I find that many relics if found in or on undisturbed ground (Woods, hillsides ) really don't migrate that deep.
In my area N, Atlanta , in un- plowed areas Minnies avg a depth of 4-6 inches.

Also of the few Spurs I have found they were basically right under the leaves , most buttons to, but that's here .

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one bayonet in my collection given to me by a friend. It was non dug, and came from her Father's old barn. Unfortunately she could not remember the story about this piece or how it came about being in her Father's barn. This is a Hall Socket bayonet stamped U.S.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread