Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
245df053067a8e64fb67c14d95d59f49.jpg It might be one of these. Hope that helps.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is not even listed in Albert's button book but there is some information on it in Tice's that you will like. Here is what Tice has to say;
CSA280{not listed by Albert}
Confederate Artillery; low convex , cast yellow metal one-piece.
Texas troops used these rare items which were cast by T.E.Miller of Houston. One could also classify them as Texas Militia buttons.
A The front has a roman "A" on a field of coarse nonparallel lines, 20mm
1. "T.MILLER, HOUSTON" rm
2. Blank

The 1 & 2 refer to the backmark or lack of one. rm means a raised mark.
You have a rare and very nice find. Congratulations. Do you have any pictures of when you dug it? I would also like to see a picture of the back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Wow! Fantastic information. I'll post more pictures

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting button. I have "American Military Buttons, Makers and Dealers their backmarks and dates" book by McGuinn and Bazelon. On page 84 it says probably Thomas E. Miller, he moved to Houston in 1862. This book credits him for a Texas Cavalry button and a Texas local button. Also reports a CS "I" and "A" are reported. Not much further on those. It also says he was recasting them in the late 1800's.

OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Artillery Button when Found and The Back of Button

Here's two pictures: One of the back of the button, One taken just moments after I dug it.
button back.JPG button dug.PNG

OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting button. I have "American Military Buttons, Makers and Dealers their backmarks and dates" book by McGuinn and Bazelon. On page 84 it says probably Thomas E. Miller, he moved to Houston in 1862. This book credits him for a Texas Cavalry button and a Texas local button. Also reports a CS "I" and "A" are reported. Not much further on those. It also says he was recasting them in the late 1800's.

Thanks. I'm getting some good information here.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a must have book if you can find one. What else came out of the area with the button?

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
The T Miller cavalry buttons bring from $1000-$1500. So your button my well be in that range. Also don't clean it. If you strip the patina you'll loose hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ripcon, you have one very rare Confetrit' Artillery button. Great information given you here on this piece. You have probably one of very few of these buttons known to man. If it were me and I had this piece, I would not sell it for any price. Once it is sold, the money will sooner or later disappear along with this rare piece. As long as you have this in your collection you know the History and the rarity of this CW artifact. The fact that it is a Confetrit' piece makes it rare in its own right. Congratulations to you sir.:icon_thumright: If I might also add, Congrat's also to FF1 and Terry in ETexas for their contribution of the information concerning this rare piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a must have book if you can find one. What else came out of the area with the button?

I found a 2-piece button with an E.E. Pritchard backmark, a cuff size eagle button, a couple of iron 2-prong forks, a few 3-ring minie balls, a pin fire type brass cartridge hull, and some camp lead.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 2-piece button with an E.E. Pritchard backmark, a cuff size eagle button, a couple of iron 2-prong forks, a few 3-ring minie balls, a pin fire type brass cartridge hull, and some camp lead.

I think that is enough to verify your button as being real and not a re-cast. Her's some info on E.E. Pritchard from McGuinn and Bazelon's book.

E.(Elizur) E. Pritchard, Waterbury, CT, 1829-c. 1862. In business usually with others. From c. 1839-45 his firm made beautiful sporting buttons under the E.E. Pritchard name. His partners included his father (David) c. 1829, W.H. Jones & Co. (1834-37), Dole & Maxwell; & Holmes & Pritchard.

I would like to see a picture of that button.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. It was found with the right stuff. $1k is not enough. Great save. I've never even seen one of these, and I've been around the block a few times.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed this post , great info.

Still a 'Banner'+ find IMO.

P.S. Continue 'Happy Dance"...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread