image.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.

You ever hunt with Mr. Dickie.?

He saved many relics from the River Line back in the Day.

Thanks for posting.
Davers

OP
OP
Dharmacy

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never personally went out hunting with him, but I did meet and hunt with him when I would run into him down on the river line. There were several of us that worked the river line back then. I'm not sure, but he may have been there the day I dug the infamous Georgia plate, I know there were several people down there digging that day but that has been a while back. I will have to get some pics of it posted and tell the story about it. I would like to hear some new thoughts on it as it has been tucked away now for nearly 30 years.

D.
Very nice.

You ever hunt with Mr. Dickie.?

He saved many relics from the River Line back in the Day.

Thanks for posting.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never personally went out hunting with him, but I did meet and hunt with him when I would run into him down on the river line. There were several of us that worked the river line back then. I'm not sure, but he may have been there the day I dug the infamous Georgia plate, I know there were several people down there digging that day but that has been a while back. I will have to get some pics of it posted and tell the story about it. I would like to hear some new thoughts on it as it has been tucked away now for nearly 30 years.

D.

"Infamous " GA Plate? Huh ?
I can not say that I have heard that one , sounds very interesting tho.

Actually I don't recall hearing of any ?? Well B.Holcomb dug one years back near Kennessaw Mountain. Savannah troops I think. But don't recall any others But I'll bet there were a few uncovered.

I have saved a Few 'left-overs' from the few hunt able areas of the Line & Around it over the past 5-8 years but as you know it's ; IMO 90% long gone.

I also have a question about a NW Atlanta site I hunted when I first started back in 1998.
Nobody I have talked to knows much about it , I saw a Man " Digging out Civil War Fox Holes" in 1980-82 when playing in the woods, hence I went back in the late 1990's , I used to think it was a battle site, but after many years of digging skirmish sites ,now I don't think so . Maybe a Picket post? W / RR close by.

Many fired bullets were dug , most have a distinctive look ( hard rammed or Double rammed ) & all the same type '3 Ringers'. I never found many drops ( these relics have been put-up for almost 20 years, I need to dig them out and re-examine them as I'm going by memory. I did find a Nice dropped 52 Sharps Ring-tail , & a almost perfect ( Dug) Guilt ed Cuff US 'I' button . The other guy or previous hunters likely got the Bigger Plates & Brass if there was any.

The site has been gone since 2001 so Ill go ahead & give the area to you & other GA / ATL diggers that may read this.

It was/ is about a mile East of where Atlanta rd turns into Marietta Blvd , old Apt's 'Bolton' back then that are now gone hugged the site between the RR Tracks for about a Half mile, I lived In Ridge-wood apt's (still there but go by another name) The tracks went over Defoor Ferry rd , right at the Entrance to my Apt's . The area i'm talking about would have been in a wooded area between 'Bolton' Apt's & the RR . BTW A few Fired Minnie's were found during the 5+ year demo of the Apt's

Follow the Tracks down about a mile & a half from the Site West & they would cross the River on a High Wooden RR Bridge that I about Died on , one can see this crossing as it parallels Atlanta rd's crossing into Cobb from Atlanta.

W, Scaffie noted there was a small skirmish 'about forgotten to history ' that took place The day before the Larger Peachtree Creek Battle , I used to think this was the site of that skirmish but the lack of bullet types tells me different .
or
Maybe I was only hunting half the battle site? as everything around this patch of old woods was built up before I was born.
Sorry for my long rant .
God Bless

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice, thanks for sharing...

"D"

OP
OP
Dharmacy

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Infamous " GA Plate? Huh ?
I can not say that I have heard that one , sounds very interesting tho.

Actually I don't recall hearing of any ?? Well B.Holcomb dug one years back near Kennessaw Mountain. Savannah troops I think. But don't recall any others But I'll bet there were a few uncovered.

I have saved a Few 'left-overs' from the few hunt able areas of the Line & Around it over the past 5-8 years but as you know it's ; IMO
90% long gone.

I also have a question about a NW Atlanta site I hunted when I first started back in 1998.
Nobody I have talked to knows much about it , I saw a Man " Digging out Civil War Fox Holes" in 1980-82 when playing in the woods, hence I went back in the late 1990's , I used to think it was a battle site, but after many years of digging skirmish sites ,now I don't think so . Maybe a Picket post? W / RR close by.

Many fired bullets were dug , most have a distinctive look ( hard rammed or Double rammed ) & all the same type '3 Ringers'. I never found many drops ( these relics have been put-up for almost 20 years, I need to dig them out and re-examine them as I'm going by memory. I did find a Nice dropped 52 Sharps Ring-tail , & a almost perfect ( Dug) Guilt ed Cuff US 'I' button . The other guy or previous hunters likely got the Bigger Plates & Brass if there was any.

The site has been gone since 2001 so Ill go ahead & give the area to you & other GA / ATL diggers that may read this.

It was/ is about a mile East of where Atlanta rd turns into Marietta Blvd , old Apt's 'Bolton' back then that are now gone hugged the site between the RR Tracks for about a Half mile, I lived In Ridge-wood apt's (still there but go by another name) The tracks went over Defoor Ferry rd , right at the Entrance to my Apt's . The area i'm talking about would have been in a wooded area between 'Bolton' Apt's & the RR . BTW A few Fired Minnie's were found during the 5+ year demo of the Apt's

Follow the Tracks down about a mile & a half from the Site West & they would cross the River on a High Wooden RR Bridge that I about Died on , one can see this crossing as it parallels Atlanta rd's crossing into Cobb from Atlanta.

W, Scaffie noted there was a small skirmish 'about forgotten to history ' that took place The day before the Larger Peachtree Creek Battle , I used to think this was the site of that skirmish but the lack of bullet types tells me different .
or
Maybe I was only hunting half the battle site? as everything around this patch of old woods was built up before I was born.
Sorry for my long rant .
God Bless

I guess the plate is infamous because word spread like wildfire that a Georgia plate was dug down on the river line. But the plate dug was not the typical state seal plate that they thought, it was just a plate with Georgia on it. There was a lot of discussion as to what it may have been. Theories went from a Georgia bus driver plate to a plate related to the GMI. Its obviously old due to the patina and the fact that the leather had rotted away except the part right up against the brass. I will get some pics up here in the next day or so. Like I said, I would like to get some new thoughts on it as it has been tucked away for a long while now.

I am familiar with the area you are talking about, but not sure if it even exists anymore. I have a similar tale about a specific skirmish down by the Chattahoochie that I searched for a number years and finally found it. It has some neat relics associated with it and I will put it all together with pics as I get time.

D.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Sir

I would love to see the plate.

Also , the site I spoke of was gone as of 2001. "Condo's"

Take your time 'No rush' but any Future pictures & story's are enjoyed & welcome.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread