Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to my bud Davers for id'ing this piece from his crappy phone the other day while we were both in the field!!! I hope I didn't cut in to your digging time too much D.
20180330_112800.jpg
20180330_113509.jpg

I can imagine if I had posted this in 'What is it', I would probably have received a half dozen 'pot handle' responses before being correctly id'ed.
CW Tent Rope Fastener - 2.jpg
CW Tent Rope Fastener - 3.jpg

Upvote 0

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ,I have one of those to, never knew what it was thanks

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to my bud Davers for id'ing this piece from his crappy phone the other day while we were both in the field!!! I hope I didn't cut in to your digging time too much D.
View attachment 1571914
View attachment 1571915

I can imagine if I had posted this in 'What is it', I would probably have received a half dozen 'pot handle' responses before being correctly id'ed.
View attachment 1571928
View attachment 1571930

Hey now , I did not see it until I got home after 9 pm & Only Guessed what it might be .
&
No you did not waste any of my digging time, actually I had pulled my 'Cheap' phone out from the depths of my Cargo pants to make sure it was on Vibe 'in case the Land Owner needed to move my Car , etc. & To take a picture of the Case Shot I had just dug , originally took my picture with my Camera then sent you one while I was at it 'Right before it (the phone) frustrated me enough to take a Nose Dive onto those RR tracks I pictured & sent to you.

You must be a psychic cause once I start hunting the only thing that Stops me are 'usually' Buttons , uncommon relics , or Box Turtles.

Thanks for the Honorable Mention.
Davers

OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I may have this dated wrong. It could very well be late 1800's to WWI.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were patented November 30, 1880. I have several from a Spanish-American war camp site near my house. Here's one with the patent date on it.

Attachments

• tent stake.jpg
    tent stake.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 117

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I dug in a WWI dump site.

D.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    824.3 KB · Views: 142
OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I see exactly where I have errored. When I searched for "civil war tent rope brass" yesterday, the results came back with exact images of my piece and a few other variations. After going into only two links and reading those descriptions, I was satisfied the were CW. I then posted my thread and went back to the search and started finding debates on how old these were. Of course, some say Spanish-American, WWI.

These are many links mis-identifying these as CW and I got caught by it. The last thing I would ever want to do is post incorrect information.
Should I delete this thread?

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say leave it on, I learned from it, maybe someone else can also.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say leave it too. This is commonly mis-identified, so it could help someone who may find one.

D.

OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've modified the Thread Tags to reflect the Patent Date.

There is no doubt this is mis-identified a lot!!! I could list a dozen links that all say it's CW.

Thanks for all the clarifications gentlemen.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see exactly where I have errored. When I searched for "civil war tent rope brass" yesterday, the results came back with exact images of my piece and a few other variations. After going into only two links and reading those descriptions, I was satisfied the were CW. I then posted my thread and went back to the search and started finding debates on how old these were. Of course, some say Spanish-American, WWI.

These are many links mis-identifying these as CW and I got caught by it. The last thing I would ever want to do is post incorrect information.
Should I delete this thread?

I'd leave it up; I thought these were a point of debate , some still swear 'some' are Civil War era.

I totally forgot about the Pat, marked ones.

Maybe the unmarked ones were used for Years then somebody realized there was no 'Patent' on them , then applied & reaped the benefits .

That's the way I would like to think it was.

Still a nice Keeper of a find.

As a matter a fact ; my club has given away Cases with these & other CW relics as prizes at our club hunts. Sooooo?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the other way around. I think that a patent is good for 7 years and after that anyone can make the same item. Or the original maker doesn't have to put the date on them anymore. Of course I could be wrong about all of this. If so, hopefully someone will set me straight.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the other way around. I think that a patent is good for 7 years and after that anyone can make the same item. Or the original maker doesn't have to put the date on them anymore. Of course I could be wrong about all of this. If so, hopefully someone will set me straight.

This sounds right to me. & Makes good sense.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a couple of them, and am aware of the mis-dating issue. Mine were ID'd as WW1.

Still a nice find. Good luck sir!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one of those stubborn guys who think that maybe.....Just maybe, they were produced earlier than the patented examples by some poor fellow that never thought to get his idea patented. I have found these among CW artifacts that I think never got camped on with tents as a post war site. But I now state my disclaimer....I have been wrong before, my wife tells me so often enough:laughing7:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one of those stubborn guys who think that maybe.....Just maybe, they were produced earlier than the patented examples by some poor fellow that never thought to get his idea patented. I have found these among CW artifacts that I think never got camped on with tents as a post war site. But I now state my disclaimer....I have been wrong before, my wife tells me so often enough:laughing7:

Ahhhhh, The debate continues. lol

OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think until someone comes up with an authentic period(CW) photograph of a tent with these on it instead of the dogbones, we have to go with the patent documents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread