image.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice , don't think I ever dug a Merrill .

Did your or that Ohio Calvary Camp produce any odd 22 caliber Bullets?

I have quite a few from a Ohio Calvary Camp a good ways North of Lost Mountain , no cases tho ??? guess they could have used paper or something else?

I'm still trying to nail down an ID for these little Boogers , have heard at CW Show's there were 22 S&W & elsewhere but again IDK.

If you don't mind , what all bullet types were found in that camp?

That Merrill is nice.

OP
OP
Dharmacy

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recall anything as small as .22. There were a lot of pistol bullets, Colt variants, Watervliet, a few pistol balls. The carbine bullets were Merrill, Smith, Sharps of various types, the one Maynard, and a Spencer. There was a dropped cleaner and a fired .69 round ball. In all I think there were around 500 bullets from that camp.

D.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.

Seems the Camp I stumbled upon ( I think that I 'metal' hunted exclusivity) Except trash pits, or maybe the out-places ??? As I got no glass ?

It had many Waterlivet pistol types 36 & 44 , cast Balls , mostly 52 Sharpes , Spencers , Burnsides , 1 small area of Smith 5-9 bullets, '1' 52 Ringtail Sharps, then those dropped 22's that differ from the other (many 22's I dug). No Plates tho.

I often wonder just how long they were there , as i'm guessing I got around 200 + - Drops ..The Sharps were the most abundant but not by much Spencers were a close 2ed then the Burnsides that I love , I just wish they held up as good as the Spencers.

Most of this place still exists & I try to hit it once or twice a year but it's gotten to where I barely get a 'beep' & know where most of the med big size Iron is located.

Funny I can almost clearly see this Camp in my mind when it was in use , if I could sketch it out I would.

I hope to post some of these 22's as soon as possible, but that $500-$700 camera I want is an investment , & i'd have to go to school to learn how to use it. lol

OP
OP
Dharmacy

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny that you say that. I actually have a diagram of the camp I made when we were hunting it. This camp had never been hunted so you could figure out the lay of the camp very easy. An interesting thing I noticed was that the individual camp sites seemed to be laid out by weapon type as there was a distinct separation of bullet types in different areas. The majority of the bullets were Merrills, with roughly about the same amount of Smiths and Sharps variants making up the rest. There were a wide selection of pistol bullets and these seemed scattered randomly. A single Maynard and a melted Spencer were the odd ones. I dug a Carbine Sling buckle and batwing, a complete curry comb, and a handful of General Service Eagle buttons. My friend dug a nice brass spur and more of the same assorted bullets. In all we hunted the camp for about 3 years until the land was sold and developed.

D.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to make a diagram of this camp before I forget where most things came from.

I do believe a small section is un-accessible.... Maybe a Half Acre or so.

I also got just a handfull of GS buttons , 1 or 2 'I' GS Cuff & 1 Cuff Staff Offic er button , I never found that 'C' button I was looking for & still have only found 'I' s as for Union letter buttons. , Also got a Curry Comb, 3 Spurs ; 2 Regulation Types & 1 older Mexican type with a big Rowel & an Iron Chain located where the Strap Studs would be, the rest was Brass & I've seen a-lot of this type in Iron . Pistol Bullets came mostly from 1 40 X 50 foot area, with a few others scattered . The 5-9 Smiths were in a very small area.

There were small areas that held certain types of Bullets (sometimes 3-7 Sharpes in one hole) , most Burnside's were found in patches 90 % of them broken likely for their powder.
Hmmm Most of the Spencer's were dropped & complete but most have cracks in their cases & several together.

Got many Saddle pieces , Grommets , Rivets , a nice cleaning Rod. 4 pre -1840 Silver Coins (no Cents) but 2 Indian Head 1863 or 1864 Patriotic Tokens/ Store Cards , 1 small Sutlers Token , Marked 4th OVC. 2 simple Brass wedding style rings & 1 Simple silver unmarked Wedding style Ring.

A-lot of Iron buckles , few pocket Knives + other Cool Stuff even some older Women's Plated (small) Jewelry pieces ???

Wanted a Bit Boss or 2 So bad but never found a Brass one , the few I did find (or think that's what they were/ are) had super thin Brass Faces with Iron Backs ; it is very hard to tell what the Faces had on them but 1 looked like what was left of a Star ???

Also got Many un- fired percussion caps , the Sensitive 'Tejon' helped a-lot with those.

One could def, find the boundary's of the Camp cause it went from Relics to nothing in about 10 feet or so.

Sorry for my long rant , just got caught up in re-living finding those special relics.
Davey

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to make a diagram of this camp before I forget where most things came from.

I do believe a small section is un-accessible.... Maybe a Half Acre or so.

I also got just a handfull of GS buttons , 1 or 2 'I' GS Cuff & 1 Cuff Staff Offic er button , I never found that 'C' button I was looking for & still have only found 'I' s as for Union letter buttons. , Also got a Curry Comb, 3 Spurs ; 2 Regulation Types & 1 older Mexican type with a big Rowel & an Iron Chain located where the Strap Studs would be, the rest was Brass & I've seen a-lot of this type in Iron . Pistol Bullets came mostly from 1 40 X 50 foot area, with a few others scattered . The 5-9 Smiths were in a very small area.

There were small areas that held certain types of Bullets (sometimes 3-7 Sharpes in one hole) , most Burnside's were found in patches 90 % of them broken likely for their powder.
Hmmm Most of the Spencer's were dropped & complete but most have cracks in their cases & several together.

Got many Saddle pieces , Grommets , Rivets , a nice cleaning Rod. 4 pre -1840 Silver Coins (no Cents) but 2 Indian Head 1863 or 1864 Patriotic Tokens/ Store Cards , 1 small Sutlers Token , Marked 4th OVC. 2 simple Brass wedding style rings & 1 Simple silver unmarked Wedding style Ring.

A-lot of Iron buckles , few pocket Knives + other Cool Stuff even some older Women's Plated (small) Jewelry pieces ???

Wanted a Bit Boss or 2 So bad but never found one , the few I did find are 'Rosettes ' ( correction made) 'Not Bit Bosses (or think that's what they were/ are) had super thin Brass Faces with Iron Backs ; it is very hard to tell what the Faces had on them but 1 looked like what was left of a Star ???

Also got Many un- fired percussion caps , the Sensitive 'Tejon' helped a-lot with those.

One could def, find the boundary's of the Camp cause it went from Relics to nothing in about 10 feet or so.

Sorry for my long rant , just got caught up in re-living finding those special relics.
Davey

Just made a Correction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions