BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Guys,

Found this in the close vicinity of other CW bullets from a known battle area.

I believe it may be a .44 Cal Watervliet Arsenal, but wanted to get the expert's opinions.

It is .75 inches long and 7/16” (.4375) at its widest point. Weight is 14.7 grams.

bR1pX9r.jpg

BG2homm.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am far from expert but my idea is a Colt Dragoon or a Colt Revolving Rifle, just a guess.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO
You are correct as there is a 'variant' of a Watervliet 44 cal with the small Hole in the Base.

The Watervliet 44's I have dug were Flat base & had the decent "X" or Chris/ Cross pattern on the bottom circumference of the bullet. Yours matches the # 10 A in my HBCWBC as it lacks the Strong 'X' pattern , it does not show the base tho.

So going from my Book & experience you are correct in your ID.
Davers

P.S. I'm Pretty sure I got some 36 cal's with the distinct 'X" pattern as well.

Very nice find.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Watervliet variant with the base cavity. All the ones I have dug here have been the solid base type.

D.

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been manufactured at Watervliet Arsenal, but weapon was it made for?

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
I was thinking it could be a .44 Bartholow but i'm no expert. I think Joe G is right it being a Dragoon though. Either way it's a very cool find!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone!

I was thinking it could be a .44 Bartholow but i'm no expert. I think Joe G is right it being a Dragoon though. Either way it's a very cool find!

Thanks man. I'm glad you were right about it!

I know CW bullets are old hat to a lot of people, but it took me 4 years to dig my first and to me they are just SOOOO cool.

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
Thanks everyone!

Thanks man. I'm glad you were right about it!

I know CW bullets are old hat to a lot of people, but it took me 4 years to dig my first and to me they are just SOOOO cool.

They are not easy to find unless you are lucky enough to have a place nearby like i do. I get excited every time i find one!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been manufactured at Watervliet Arsenal, but weapon was it made for?

I don't know my Civil War era Gun's well at all but I would think it could be used in the Colt Revolver or a 44 with similar bullet and Cartridge length.
Good Question.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread