I was told this was a CW bullet. Would be my first if so!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I was told this was a CW bullet. Is it true?! It would be my first, if so.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526865096.602423.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526865115.220562.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526865124.323309.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526865132.632077.jpg

Upvote 0

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get calipers on the base of the bullet and tell us what it measures at.....also clean the dirt out of the grooves and send another pic if you can

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think it is a Colt's pattern bullet, I think Civil War era, a little far north to have been used in a fight. Law enforcement perhaps? Could be many senarios.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess 50/50.

Do (if you want ) what Tedyoh suggested , to be more confident.

If not Civil War Era it's still Old.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I don’t know how to get the calipers. I don’t have that instrument. Where can I buy one (not online). Also, I can’t seem to clean between those grooves much more than I already did.

Couple of questions: it is, indeed, a bullet correct?

Davers, you had mentioned it’s still old. How old do you think?

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
It certainly has the patina indicative of being 100+ years old. Looks like lead from my area. Cleaning the grooves may answer the age question.

Calipers, any hardware store like a Northern Tool, Lowes etc. Digital metallic only, no plastic junk.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I don’t know how to get the calipers. I don’t have that instrument. Where can I buy one (not online). Also, I can’t seem to clean between those grooves much more than I already did.

Any auto parts store will have a digital caliper. I got mine at O'Reilly's for around $20.00. I had a set from Lowe's but they quit working within a month. If you want to get an idea of your bullets diameter you can place it on a coin. A penny is .75", nickel is .83", dime is .70" and a quarter is .95".

Attachments

• calipers.jpg
    calipers.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definitely it's a fired Bullet.

In my 'Non-Bullet / Ammo expert ' just going by what I have dug & experienced '.

Age ? would date to 'Civil war' to 1960 ??? but 'most likely ' before 1940 & if there are no reeds in the grooves I'd guess 1870-1900..

Keep a huntin & you will likely find a Pre-Civil War .69 + caliber Ball along with your first 'Definite' "Civil War era bullet" especially when or if you can get to new sites.

I'd love to be in your area looking for old Coins .."The grass is always greener"..

Good weekend to You.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any auto parts store will have a digital caliper. I got mine at O'Reilly's for around $20.00. I had a set from Lowe's but they quit working within a month. If you want to get an idea of your bullets diameter you can place it on a coin. A penny is .75", nickel is .83", dime is .70" and a quarter is .95".

Harbor Freight also has them and they're relatively inexpensive and work really good. I bought a set of the digital ones last year and haven't had a bit of trouble out of them... "D"

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!

Not sure what the “no reeds in the grooves” means, but here is a little different angle and better cleaned up photo of the bullet. I will be getting that instrument this week and will report back!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527387851.165708.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527387891.665371.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1527387925.160382.jpg

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bullet does not have the ridges or "reeding" in the grooves. Here is what we are talking about.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_dime-for-size_photobyBebo_DSCN0240_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_dime-for-size_photobyBebo_DSCN0240_855x642.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bullet does not have the ridges or "reeding" in the grooves. Here is what we are talking about.

Ahhh I see! Thanks for showing me. So this is a good sign then, right? If I get the caliper to you this week, that should tell the rest of the story? What do you think so far with what we know of it?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until we get a size it will be hard to say. It could be a pistol round or a carbine one. Size matters!:laughing9:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
take the base --place it upon a ruler to see its size --a 1/2 inch is 50 caliber --most civil war rifles that used the shove it down the front of the barrel type minie ball type bullets were of a large calibers --58 and 69 caliber where quite common (over a 1/2 inch ) whereas most pistols were either 44 or 36 caliber (well under a 1/2 inch ) this might help in figgering out is it a rifle bullet or a pistol bullet

ridges are from cartridge type bullets where the cases were crimped to the bullet to make a seal and are typically thought of as post civil war black powder cartridges and modern smokeless powder rounds --true civil war era "blackpowder" 3 ringer type muzzle loader rounds had grooves to act as a gas seal but no reeding as there was no "cartridge" because the bullet was shoved down the barrel and sat over top the loose gunpowder

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread