Civil War Belt Buckles Real or Fake?

Bickema

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, my first post! Quick Background Info. I am selling a large civil war style lot for a widow's late husband. He bought the lot over 20 years ago in Atlanta, Ga. Its a rather large lot consisting mostly of reproductions. However there are a few that look legit. I am tracking down some reference books but in the meantime I thought I would share a few and get everyone's expert opinions. Thank you in advance for your responses.

First 2 Buckles:

IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG IMG_2430.JPG

Upvote 0

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First one looks legit(non-dug.) The second one is fake 100%. Only one style of CS plate had arrowhead hooks and they are super rare(R9) and this one has a totally different face. I know this first hand cause my brother dug one with the arrowhead hooks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bickema

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the response Worm-Slicer. One out of two ain't bad. However I still have my doubts about the US only because it came in a large lot of so many reproductions. Hopefully some other informed posters will weigh in and confirm its authenticity. Thanks again!

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have doubts about the US one as well. The back looks overfilled to me, this is a common trait of reproductions of this type of plate.

D.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The US has too much lead fill, too much for the older style. The CS is a 70's reproduction.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish that I could help , I just have not dug or Bought enough plates to have studied them like I should.

I do agree with the "Over fill" on the US. & Your concern that If so many pieces are "Repo's" it's hard to give a 100% assurance on other pieces in that Collection.

GL
Davers

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in the same boat with "Old Tom Cat", but from researching it on the internet, I'm going to have to agree with the consensus that they are both reproductions... JMO "D"

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post it all up. If you don't know what you are doing you may pass over the real deal thinking it is fake!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread