CANNONBALL.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you don't get a response to your question here, which you probably will knowing the vast knowledge of these guy's here, you can send the pics to Richard Angelico. He and I hunted together for many years and he knows his stuff when it comes to cannonball's. His email is "[email protected]". Tell him that Darry G. the old Possumcop told ya to email the pics to him, I'm certain he'll be able to help ya... "D"

OP
OP
ReelHabit

ReelHabit

Jun 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thank you very much sir.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen Cannonballguy around in awhile... I am sure he could access a value for you.

Perhaps he will catch this post.

OP
OP
ReelHabit

ReelHabit

Jun 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime, let us know what he says... "D"

Without seeing them in person, it is hard to tell. Off the bat, they look like Naval Watercap fused Dahlgren shells, based on the one in the basket. The one in the basket has had the fuse removed. I have fuses for that shell and it would be an easy check to see if it fits and if it is a naval shell. They may have never been fused or fired, which is common. No way to tell for sure unless I examine them. As to their value, if you want to sell them bring them by my house and we’ll discuss it. I buy and sell Civil War artillery all the time.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ReelHabit is correct. The specific answers to your ID, age, and dollar-value questions are:
They are civil war era US Navy Watercap-fuzed shells for the 9"-caliber Dahlgren cannon. What you see in the fuzehole is the brass "bushing" which the (missing) Watercap fuze screwed into. Because the valuable date-marked brass Watercap fuze is missing, these cannonballs are worth about $150, retail. Fortunately, diggers occasionally find undamaged USN Watercap fuzes from exploded shells, which you can buy for about $75. Then, carefully clean the threading in the brass bushing, and screw the fuze into it... which will make the ball worth about $300 retail, due to it having an "unscrewable" fuze.

The photos below show a sawed-in-half civil war US Navy Watercap-fuzed shell, and a civil-war-dated USN Watercap fuze.

Attachments

• shell_halfsection_10inch_USNavy-watercap-fuzed-shell_CWP_photobyEmike_image016_141.jpg
    shell_halfsection_10inch_USNavy-watercap-fuzed-shell_CWP_photobyEmike_image016_141.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 61
  • fuze_Navy-Watercap_no-bushing_sideview_Ebay_3.jpg
    fuze_Navy-Watercap_no-bushing_sideview_Ebay_3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 60
  • fuze_Navy-Watercap_US_1865-dated_topview_Ebay_35.jpg
    fuze_Navy-Watercap_US_1865-dated_topview_Ebay_35.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 155

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ReelHabit is correct. The specific answers to your ID, age, and dollar-value questions are:
They are civil war era US Navy Watercap-fuzed shells for the 9"-caliber Dahlgren cannon. What you see in the fuzehole is the brass "bushing" which the (missing) Watercap fuze screwed into. Because the valuable date-marked brass Watercap fuze is missing, these cannonballs are worth about $150, retail. Fortunately, diggers occasionally find undamaged USN Watercap fuzes from exploded shells, which you can buy for about $75. Then, carefully clean the threading in the brass bushing, and screw the fuze into it... which will make the ball worth about $300 retail, due to it having an "unscrewable" fuze.

The photos below show a sawed-in-half civil war US Navy Watercap-fuzed shell, and a civil-war-dated USN Watercap fuze.

Great info As usual thanks TCBG.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread