1900 34th natl encampment chicago logan monument medal

Jkamats

Jun 22, 2018
Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what appears to be a medal. It says 34th natl encampment GAR chicago on back has pic of logam monument and says it under 20180622_162602_001.jpg 20180622_162542.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice find! :occasion14:

Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jkamatsfrom another resident of the great state of PA! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to PA.
tn_link.gif
2nd -I searched Google and found that GAR stands for Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army (United States Army), Union Navy (U.S. Navy), Marines and the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Northern/Federal forces. Founded in 1866... Further research shows that the 34th National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic was held in Chicago between August 26 – August 30, 1900.

OP
OP
J

Jkamats

Jun 22, 2018
Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in mckean county but was in cameron county down by driftwood. I know about the GAR i just dont know what this is exactly. What it was for. I found one online that looked like it but it said souvinior on it. And they were made around 1920.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I know about the GAR i just dont know what this is exactly...
metal_detector.gif
Just about all the Fraternal Orders have yearly meetings. Part of attending is also getting some type of ribbon to note your attendance. Her is an example of GAR National Encampment Philiadelphia Civil War Verterans Medal Badge...

gar01.jpg

Here is a ribbon from the 34th...

gar02.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jkamats

Jun 22, 2018
Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these anything special, besides the fact of finging something so cool

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO ..Very special , historically , Super Cool & worth something to the right collector .

Metal detecting does not pay well unless you have a time machine , even that statement makes no since.

I'd be glad to have recovered that Piece.
Welcome to the site as well.
Davers

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
TREASURE! Welcome and may you find much much more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread