My First

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got me thinking [it hurts a little] Tim, here is the first bullet I ever dug with my own machine it was a Whites 4900 no meter went by sound. The date was Friday 13th, April 1985. Went to Centerville, Va. that morning bought my detector and found my first bullet near Antietam that evening about an hour later found other relic needless to say if I wasn't a Civil War nut at that moment I was hooked!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    848.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember the first relic I found but I was also using a 4900. It was Scottys back up machine and he eventually gave it to me.

OP
OP
Joe G from Md

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember the first relic I found but I was also using a 4900. It was Scottys back up machine and he eventually gave it to me.

I used Scotts and Mr. Stotler's before I bought mine, I found bullets and at the time lowly Eagle buttons with their detectors.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First bullet I found, sorry have no picture, was in about 1968 or 69 at the Battle of Jenkins Ferry. My school teacher was a nut about the Civil War and all of our 4th-5th grade plays were about the Civil War.
Any way I liked history and Mr. White had a metal detector and he carried the few of us that liked history metal detecting. His detector was purple and white in color and the first trip there I found a coffee can full of bullets. Over a year or two we found a jillion bullets and at one time I had CS belt plates and US belt plates that we found but moving several times during my youth they got lost. Still, that's what made a detecting fool out of me. Went yesterday and started hitting swimming holes. Found a .36 pistol ball and what appears to be a .32 pistol ball and a Henry cartridge bullet and hull all in one piece. May go again this afternoon but I've got to put up some catalpa worms for cat fishing and do a little work in the shop...d2

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I remember correctly, my first Minnie' ball find was a carved Williams Cleaner bullet cut in half. It was found close to an old road as we made our way into the woods. As we entered the woods we began finding many bullets. It was a virgin site where there was an intense firing on this position by Infantry. Many bullets were found in this area.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You got me thinking [it hurts a little] Tim, here is the first bullet I ever dug with my own machine it was a Whites 4900 no meter went by sound. The date was Friday 13th, April 1985. Went to Centerville, Va. that morning bought my detector and found my first bullet near Antietam that evening about an hour later found other relic needless to say if I wasn't a Civil War nut at that moment I was hooked!

Very nice buddy.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sure I have my first bullet somewhere put up. I wouldn't know witch one it is though. I know it came from just outside of Westminster Maryland in 1998.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice , is the other relic a piece of a Breast Plate , or another type?

In 1982 I was 11 & an older kid eyeballed a dropped Round Ball 44-58 caliber tho it could have been a .69.

He would take nothing for it ! I thought it was Soooo Cool. 'well it was' lol

Got a $ 20 Radio Shaq detector not long after (We was Po ) ; traded it soon after for a S&W type Model 29 Pellet Gun.

Wish I had started detecting then , as I likely said before in late 97 My first (non, .31 caliber fired thingy) was a Type 3 Williams Cleaner W/o it's bottom tack. It took a couple Months to figure out what it was . LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used Scotts and Mr. Stotler's before I bought mine, I found bullets and at the time lowly Eagle buttons with their detectors.

"lowly Eagle Buttons" lol It was that way in these parts as well in the 1970's & 80's .
Now If I dig 2-5 a year I'm happy.
+
The Confederates made good use of them here in mid-Late 1864.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First bullet I found, sorry have no picture, was in about 1968 or 69 at the Battle of Jenkins Ferry. My school teacher was a nut about the Civil War and all of our 4th-5th grade plays were about the Civil War.
Any way I liked history and Mr. White had a metal detector and he carried the few of us that liked history metal detecting. His detector was purple and white in color and the first trip there I found a coffee can full of bullets. Over a year or two we found a jillion bullets and at one time I had CS belt plates and US belt plates that we found but moving several times during my youth they got lost. Still, that's what made a detecting fool out of me. Went yesterday and started hitting swimming holes. Found a .36 pistol ball and what appears to be a .32 pistol ball and a Henry cartridge bullet and hull all in one piece. May go again this afternoon but I've got to put up some catalpa worms for cat fishing and do a little work in the shop...d2

To bad (in most areas) If a teacher is a CW Nut ; They better keep it to themselves. What has happened to our USA?

Congratz on the Pistol Ball's & a complete Henry Cartridge. GL on future hunts.

OP
OP
Joe G from Md

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice , is the other relic a piece of a Breast Plate , or another type?

In 1982 I was 11 & an older kid eyeballed a dropped Round Ball 44-58 caliber tho it could have been a .69.

He would take nothing for it ! I thought it was Soooo Cool. 'well it was' lol

Got a $ 20 Radio Shaq detector not long after (We was Po ) ; traded it soon after for a S&W type Model 29 Pellet Gun.

Wish I had started detecting then , as I likely said before in late 97 My first (non, .31 caliber fired thingy) was a Type 3 Williams Cleaner W/o it's bottom tack. It took a couple Months to figure out what it was . LOL

The other relic is part of US plate [ box or belt]

makarelic

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great post! My first was a 58 eyeballed cleaning the fence row when I was 15 years old

I remember kids waiting for the school bus eyeballing a handful of bullets right along Harpers Ferry Road.

Another time at the swimming hole on Antietam creek, friend pulled bayonet out of the creek bank.

Sometimes all ya need is a keen eye! Those were the days...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What to go.Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread