Found my first civil war buttons ( I think)and could use some help identifying.

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunting buddies and I went this past Sunday to an old elementary school to do some coin shooting and found a lot of lead instead. When we first got there Tim dug the first three ringer and his first one when he dug a low penny number on his machine just to see.Man was he happy. We started working our way around this very big fenced in campus(we had permission) when him and i both dug a three ringer at the same time about 20 feet apart. I also dug this piece of lead that I believe is a melted or fired minie ball as all of my finds so far are dropped.I was using the Equinox 800 in park 1 and scanned his first bullet to see what reading on the nox I was looking for. The other buddy i was hunting with found a large civil war jacket button and i scanned it to see what it came as for a reference for buttons as i had never found any of those before. I found 2 more Minie balls and then got a repeatable number for buttons 14-15 and about 6 inches down found a very small button that looked like the small version of the big one Mike had dug. Then about 5 feet away i found another small button like the first one. Then 2 more minie balls to bring it to 5. My best day ever!! My question is about how to identify the buttons and how to determine if they are Union or Confederate uniform button and where on the uniform they would be? I am new to relics so be easy on me if this is common knowledge. The dime is for size reference. Thanks for looking and HH ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533335634.986741.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533335658.605747.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533335671.865822.jpg

Upvote 0

SlimPikins

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2018
Eastern NC.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some amazing finds! I would love to have a day like that. Congrats!

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pics, they appear to be Union General Service cuff buttons. The bullets are dropped three ringers and one Williams Cleaner bullet.

D.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the button on the left might be a General staff one. It looks like it is 3 piece construction. Can you read any marks on the back of either one?

OP
OP
Coil-2-Soil

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the button on the left might be a General staff one. It looks like it is 3 piece construction. Can you read any marks on the back of either one?

The button on the left has too much corrosion to read. The other one cleaned up good but I will have to get a magnifying glass to read what it says. Thanks for the info.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can't make out the pic very well but I believe ff166c794623a0b710b6040e0999f899.jpg

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! I have not found a CW button yet.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it multz, I have faith.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love these type of posts.

My hunting buddies and I went this past Sunday to an old elementary school to do some coin shooting and found a lot of lead instead. When we first got there Tim dug the first three ringer and his first one when he dug a low penny number on his machine just to see.Man was he happy. We started working our way around this very big fenced in campus(we had permission) when him and i both dug a three ringer at the same time about 20 feet apart. I also dug this piece of lead that I believe is a melted or fired minie ball as all of my finds so far are dropped.I was using the Equinox 800 in park 1 and scanned his first bullet to see what reading on the nox I was looking for. The other buddy i was hunting with found a large civil war jacket button and i scanned it to see what it came as for a reference for buttons as i had never found any of those before. I found 2 more Minie balls and then got a repeatable number for buttons 14-15 and about 6 inches down found a very small button that looked like the small version of the big one Mike had dug. Then about 5 feet away i found another small button like the first one. Then 2 more minie balls to bring it to 5. My best day ever!! My question is about how to identify the buttons and how to determine if they are Union or Confederate uniform button and where on the uniform they would be? I am new to relics so be easy on me if this is common knowledge. The dime is for size reference. Thanks for looking and HH View attachment 1618498 View attachment 1618499 View attachment 1618500

First let me congratulate you on your first Civil War button Finds & some nice Drop's

I agree with DP & Fyrffytr1 .

Your buttons look like General Service US Cuff's , with one being a Staff Officer's Type .

The lack of detail on the Staff is unusual IMO, Might it's back be made of Iron ?

If so it could be a Kepi Button as I have found a couple tin -back Staff Officers buttons .

I'm no Expert tho. 99% sure they are CW period .

Also 'Think ' your lead Blob is melted bullets.

Y'all may have stumbled on a Picket post or Camp site, or in the worst case 'Show & tell ' Losses .

IMO The Minnie's look the same except the Type 3 cleaner , & the middle Minnie , so likely Wartime Drops .

I'd def, check that place again (dig nice Plugs) you know the deal .

Also do some research on the area, Good luck on more saves in the future.
Davers

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mlutz you just so happen to live in a state where your likely to find one. Keep at it you will get one eventually.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be hunting that site on a regular basis. It might be holding a nice buckle and just waiting to be found. Good luck!

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I definitely do. I hunt near Richmond and Amelia County along Lee's Retreat. We have found quite a bit of bullets fired and dropped. The buttons have escaped me thus far. I still maintain a positive outlook though. Bullets and grape shot are great.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratualtions! ( 0ne would expect a professor to be a better speller, would one not?)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely do. I hunt near Richmond and Amelia County along Lee's Retreat. We have found quite a bit of bullets fired and dropped. The buttons have escaped me thus far. I still maintain a positive outlook though. Bullets and grape shot are great.

Dig almost everything especially 'Shot Gun Brass ' & even Pull Tab for the Smaller types , any Cast 1 piece should be Loud & Clear.GL MAN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread