Ditch finds from 1850’s fort

history preserved

Mar 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ditch.... This site has been one of my most productive sites ever. This particular property has a pretty big backyard that I’ve hunted a million times, and up until a couple months ago, I thought the site was basically hunted out. Running through the side of the property, there is a ditch... not too long, but when we started looking, we found pottery just laying there. I had previously thought that ground was too un-natural for there to be relics, so I didn’t hunt there. One day, I started scanning where I was looking for the pottery and couldn’t believe the amount of relics I was finding in such a small area! Percussion caps, buttons, bullets, pottery, and you name it. The ditch itself is actually part of the original ditch that got straightened out. I’ve posted a lot of pictures from this site, but here is the pile JUST from the ditch on the property so far. With a small concentrated area however, relics will start slowing down. By the third day when Michael (NuggetNoggin) was hunting with me, we didn’t even find a button. I’m now going to probably wait till it gets cooler and more storms erode at the side of the ditch and reveal some more. Hope you guys enjoyed the story of the “ditch site” (as I have named it). Hopefully more will come out in the future. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1535077410.025797.jpg

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. I would go back with a sifter if I were you.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Site .

Keep hunting the area as it will be waiting on you.

Great Job on Saving the History of that Fort.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see the site is still producing. The ditch has been kind to me too in years past, however, at times it was filled with water. I'm curious how you clean your buttons. The no. 1 hat number represents the First Artillery Regiment. Once they were stationed at Ft. __ also. I have data on the cmdg. LT. & some soldier's names whom were serving in Fla. Also I have a Regt. letter from the same company. I won't give that out so not to divulge the site location. Will do in private communication. Once I told a young upcoming relic hunter who searched with a Minelab Explorer that by switching brand detectors and rechecking a site will give surprising results. Sometimes as if the site has not been hunted before--all has to do with frequency and nearby signal interferences. That is why I own nine detectors of which seven are still usable. Does this sound familiar to you? Even the Minelab Excalibur is do-able. A friend used one on a SemWar site (3rd War) in past years and dug a beautiful XF 1857 dime--brought fresh the US mint--to paymaster who visited each post with payroll--and, to the soldier and immediately lost thereafter in soft phosphated soil. That site was occupied only in 1857-58.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way ta go.nice finds.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
history preserved

history preserved

Mar 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see the site is still producing. The ditch has been kind to me too in years past, however, at times it was filled with water. I'm curious how you clean your buttons. The no. 1 hat number represents the First Artillery Regiment. Once they were stationed at Ft. __ also. I have data on the cmdg. LT. & some soldier's names whom were serving in Fla. Also I have a Regt. letter from the same company. I won't give that out so not to divulge the site location. Will do in private communication. Once I told a young upcoming relic hunter who searched with a Minelab Explorer that by switching brand detectors and rechecking a site will give surprising results. Sometimes as if the site has not been hunted before--all has to do with frequency and nearby signal interferences. That is why I own nine detectors of which seven are still usable. Does this sound familiar to you? Even the Minelab Excalibur is do-able. A friend used one on a SemWar site (3rd War) in past years and dug a beautiful XF 1857 dime--brought fresh the US mint--to paymaster who visited each post with payroll--and, to the soldier and immediately lost thereafter in soft phosphated soil. That site was occupied only in 1857-58.

I PM’d you

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's to you on some nice relics and Saved History. What size coil were you using? You might go back over the ditch with a larger coil that would gain you a little more depth to anything that might be a bit deeper that a smaller coil wasn't able to read. Just a thought. Well Done on the relics.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread