Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt a new spot close to some heavy CW action. It's a big lot that the house was torn down recently. Most of the ground has been disturbed but there is still some good ground around the edges. I hunted there a few times this week and have found a nice variety of relics. The targets are spread out all around and I think I've dug more shotgun headstamps from here than anywhere I've ever hunted, but if I skipped over those type of signals I would have missed the Eagle coat and cuff buttons. I dug some neat small buckles that I'm not sure if they were on a man's garter sock and I'm not sure if they're period? Also got a nice underplug off of a Bormann shell maybe? I went back yesterday and lucked up on a few more bullets and my last signal was down deep and under a huge root. I was excited to see it was a brass barrel band and it cleaned up nicely. It's marked with the numbers 12 and 99. I know enough that it's a barrel band but have no idea as to what type of musket/riffle it's off of. I appreciate any help I can get on an ID. HH-David

6DxZFhQ.jpg fwwW2ra.jpg

oy5Hvpm.jpg XncFA1K.jpg

WEz6on6.jpg

Upvote 0

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Haul!!! I'm no expert on Civil War guns but guessing the barrel band is off an earlier percussion rifle since its brass...

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! A lot of awesome saves. I like buttons and buckles. Congrats!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice permission. Congrats on the finds.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Haul!!! I'm no expert on Civil War guns but guessing the barrel band is off an earlier percussion rifle since its brass...

Thanks TimberCrack

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still loving your success at yr new sight.
Davers

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**UPDATE: I was told by Larry Hicklen to take a look at the big caliber Prussian muskets and sure enough this band matches with the model 1809 Prussian "Potsdam" (where it was made) These were old flint lock muskets that were changed over to percussion close to the War

dRwwWQh.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool Relics and Saved History. Congrat's to you on the I.D. on the barrel band. Well Done.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool finds, love that barrel band!! The Germans stamped the hell out of their muskets, my buddy shots a original Potsdam and it has so many arsenal stamps on the wood and metal, it looks like graffiti. Awesome recovery, and that is more head stamps than I have ever dug total, it must have been good hunting there.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow looks like a lot of good digging !! place like that you need to dig every signal or like you said , you would have passed up some great finds.
Looks like a carved bullet in the mix !! great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions