CW Hunt. Complete Spencer Bullet (mostlly) Need opinions....

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

I had my best CW hunt yesterday. Found a couple 3 ringers, my first Williams cleaner, first fired bullet and a mostly complete Spencer cartridge. I'd love to hear some opinions on whether the tip of the bullet was cut off or if it was possibly inserted backwards.

The button is just the back. I'm still looking for my first complete CW button. The spur piece may or may not be CW. While there was Calvary at this particular battle, the land was also a farm for many years afterwards, so no way to know for sure. The little piece beside the button back is from a Spencer casing.

After thinking about it, I weighed the only Spencer bullet I have and it's 393.5 grains. The cartridge/lead I found yesterday weighs 296.5

I think that solves the mystery. :laughing7: The bullet was cut off for some reason. ???

1HVkFIL.jpg

ZFo3lVv.jpg

LzVtYIP.jpg

Thanks for looking. GL & HH

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very neat finds!!! I do like the Spencer bullet...d2

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bladerunner, you indeed had a great hunt. Congrat's on all the finds. The Spencer bullet is very interesting. These are not as commonly found as most other bullets. The Spencer you found looks to me as if it could have been carved or whacked by a soldier, possibly for a game piece or while in camp. Very neat find. The piece of spur you have looks to be of the CW period. Going back to the Spencer bullet, is that an x or some sort of design carved into the top flat section of the bullet where the bullet was cut down? You did well in finding an assortment of CW History.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice saves! I think devldog's hypothesis that the spencer was cut down for a game piece makes sense. Congrats on an excellent hunt!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! Definitely a thrill to find them.

devldog, when you mentioned the X, I just assumed it was some of the lines that I had possibly made when I was using a toothpick to scrape away some of the pine residue. But I just took a closer look at it and there is an X on it!! Great eye man! I don't see how you saw that from the angle of pics I posted. Thanks so much for noticing that!

Here is a better pic. I suppose it could be random, but sure looks like an X to me. I guess that might lend credence to the theory it was used as a game piece.

PtiIfTF.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Again, a very nice find. I love finding those carved pieces. If I ever notice something strange or out of the ordinary, I put it under a light and use my magnifying glass. You'd be surprised on what you may come across. This was a very neat looking Spencer bullet. Nothing like saving some CW History, or (the War of Northern Aggression History) as we Southerner's like to refer to. Lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tho , most likely cut , I wonder if the bullet was reinserted upside down?

A very cool find + the other stuff is A-OK.
Davers

Edit, Sorry I did not actually read your post until a second ago , so the weight does explain that it was cut off .
A Sweet find & congatz on you best day out 'CW' wise. "YET".:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bladerunner, we were talking the other day about your Nice Spencer Carbine bullet carved piece of game piece. I always examine anything that catches my eye or seems out of the ordinary. I dug this small piece of bullet one of my last times out. It seemed to have some sort of a shape to it and seemed somewhat smooth instead of jagged or rugged as if it had been fired. I got home and cleaned it lightly with a toothbrush and dish detergent. I'm glad I checked it closely. It was a small shield with the letters US in the shields center. I don't know how this was done so small in the field, but the soldier was a real artist. This particular piece was found about 400 yards behind a piece of a Federal trench line. The first pic 20181004_195028.jpg . is the shields front with letters visible. Do you see it? The second pic. Is the backside of the piece. I included the dime for size comparison. Always check small pieces, you nev[ATTA 20181004_195028.jpg CH=CONFIG]1639045[/ATTACH]

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
devldog,

It looks like you may have posted the same pic twice. Of the back side??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread