A question on melted lead.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry that I have not pic's but a few years ago & again last weekend I found ? 'Camp Lead'?
A couple pieces looked like one would expect, but I also came across a few small pieces of lead that looked 'Crystallized' Kinda like you would see in a Rock Formation , Or what water looks like 'time lapsed -as it freezes ? or a Snow Flake affect. ?

I was wondering what would cause hot or Molten lead to harden this way.

Thanks for any opinions.
Davers

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pics would really help, but structure in metal has to do with the cooling process. It is possible you found a galena crystal or something lead based as well.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Most of what I call camp lead looks as a bullet color would but had been disfigured.

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes lead is fluxed to clean it. I don't know how long ago this process started. The impurities that are purged out and removed look like you describe sometimes.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help y'all.

I hope asap to get my picture posting down to a Science . + I have piles of "What is it's" to keep those guys busy for a good while.

Ill get this figured out soon .
& Yes madmantrapper , I have been thinking these 'Patina'd white pieces of Chrystal looking Lead was from a casting process.
GD & HH
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug some that had Ash in it. It kind of looked like you said.

Tho I have not cleaned them up yet , I do believe the lead was melted (just in a different or unusual way).
Thanks for your reply & hope yr healing up well 'Buddy'.
Davey

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Davers! I appreciated your kind words on my half-dime post. One other thought - when I found the 249 bullets in the hut site, the powder was all mixed in. they were still "stacked" nose to tail and the black powder was easy to see.

DSCN4015.jpg

The powder eroded the bullets over the years, and so the 3-ringers are not in good shape. We called it being "powder burned" and some of the deterioration sounds like you described. But in a fire, the powder would have burned up! So I don't know. Just commenting. Always enjoy reading your comments and posts.

Parsonwalker

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davers! I appreciated your kind words on my half-dime post. One other thought - when I found the 249 bullets in the hut site, the powder was all mixed in. they were still "stacked" nose to tail and the black powder was easy to see.

View attachment 1645215

The powder eroded the bullets over the years, and so the 3-ringers are not in good shape. We called it being "powder burned" and some of the deterioration sounds like you described. But in a fire, the powder would have burned up! So I don't know. Just commenting. Always enjoy reading your comments and posts.

Parsonwalker

I appreciate your kind words & I have learned quite a-bit from your posts & still recall a-lot of your personal (Relic Hunting) history , I understand the powder burn you describe , as I have been blessed to dig many Spencer Rounds , whole , cracked , & broken along with the tips of a good few Burnside Cartridges & the powder burn is very evident especially on the Burnside bullet bottoms .

I hope someday to Master picture taking & transfer , I need a smart phone ( but I fear they are to smart ) LOL

I found the strange looking pieces near where a Skirmish took place ( No Artillery ) ; it seems the lead cooled in a 'snow flake ' kinda way ? . I only dug about 5-7 pieces all were small , say $1 Gold size & smaller.

Ill get a picture up in the next few years 'Lord Willing ' . LOL
A great Holiday Season to You & yours & I hope you dig many a fine relic.
Davers / Davey

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I cast a lot of minie balls for competition and if the lead is too hot, it takes on a crystal like look and feel and becomes very brittle and the bullets sometimes come apart when I try to remove them from the mold.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Who found those 249 minkes? Wow that’s a nice haul!!!!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cast a lot of minie balls for competition and if the lead is too hot, it takes on a crystal like look and feel and becomes very brittle and the bullets sometimes come apart when I try to remove them from the mold.

Thanks Joe-Dirt your description of the hot lead sounds right on , there was an old home-place near where I dug these small pieces.
GD, Joe -D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread