Civil war buck shot

Dual Hunter

Jan 18, 2009
Middle River MD.
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030. Xp deus.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if your in a know civil war area ..ie skirmish/camp you can bet they are most likely buck and ball , was in a Calvary camp where they were making there own pistol bullets with a mold 36 cal they were scattered all over the place ,was digging them for hours. sometimes pistol like 36 cal look close to the size of buck and ball.

ronr

Dec 26, 2010
Central Va
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If your finding .69 round balls in the same area. They were packaged together

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found about a hundred 36 cal balls in the last couple of years. A lot of cavalry camps around here. Got to be happy for what you get here. The metal hunters of the 1960s were a determined bunch. Kind of wonder if they chunked the small lead back in the field and took the good stuff. I have only 6 union buttons in 5 years. Got a burnside last week and will post it soon. Good hunting to all.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When hunting civil war areas, I tend to find a lot of "buck shot" sized bullets that have the same patina as a minie ball. My question is how do I know if these buck shot balls are from the civil war era or just modern buckshot with a little age?

Those 'buggers' are usually a tough call, IMO Years of experience of finding & seeing such pieces will give you a good idea on the age of the .31 -.36. Balls

In a known Civil War area I tend to keep most of then esp, If I can see marks where the Spurs were cut off ; Fired types are really tough .

Use yr Common Sense & The Force.
GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread