Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at CW ID badges on eBay and I ran across this. It says it’s a CW dog tag. They’re saying this is made of silver. Where there CW tags made of silver? IMG_1641.jpg IMG_1640.jpg

I collect Andrew Jackson memorabilia and I remember buying this of a lady who said it was her husband’s who passed away. And all she knew was it was VERY OLD ANDREW JACKSON ID TAG TOKEN​. NICE CONDITION. MEASURES 23MM IN SIZE. MADE OF WHITE METAL because that’s all he had written down. I assumed it was a homemade Andrew Jackson token so I bought it from her. Can anyone tell me is this a legit CW dog tag that someone just put Andrew Jackson’s name on it? IMG_1354.jpg IMG_1355.jpg

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol yeah right! You just hating just like you’re trying to steal that guy’s info to write a book!!!

It’s post war I’ll take that. Good job

You lost me there, Truth. :dontknow:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I read a thread where some wack-a-doodle was freaking out claiming you where trying to steal his information on his book. He was a real nut case. Do you remember that thread?

HahA :laughing7: Yeah..

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are luggage tags and key fobs. The material culture of the American Civil War is well documented by now. Unfortunately, Ebay sellers are quick to misidentify their items as Civil War related to get maximum views and a higher price. There are many examples of this happening including the heel plates with hearts/clubs/etc. on them, the brass roller buckle covers with the heart on them, the cast brass trunk plates with 6 integral prongs on the back that are called "rev war belt plates", and the list goes on. This is why Ebay is NOT a good source for identification.

Nothing presented here mentions the Civil War, nothing has a unit ID, nothing says "US" or "CS", nothing says "war of 1861". I have seen many similar items posted from all over the country and from a context which was definitely not Civil War.

Now, I am not here to crap on the stuff presented, but it is important to keep the information correct. They are neat things in their own right, and a legitimate collection of luggage tags and key fobs, but nothing presented is associated with the Civil War.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are luggage tags and key fobs. The material culture of the American Civil War is well documented by now. Unfortunately, Ebay sellers are quick to misidentify their items as Civil War related to get maximum views and a higher price. There are many examples of this happening including the heel plates with hearts/clubs/etc. on them, the brass roller buckle covers with the heart on them, the cast brass trunk plates with 6 integral prongs on the back that are called "rev war belt plates", and the list goes on. This is why Ebay is NOT a good source for identification.

Nothing presented here mentions the Civil War, nothing has a unit ID, nothing says "US" or "CS", nothing says "war of 1861". I have seen many similar items posted from all over the country and from a context which was definitely not Civil War.

Now, I am not here to crap on the stuff presented, but it is important to keep the information correct. They are neat things in their own right, and a legitimate collection of luggage tags and key fobs, but nothing presented is associated with the Civil War.

Yeah creskol explained it to me. Thanks for taking your time to reiterate it. The woman who sold it to me presented it as a token. It is silver plated and I didn’t pay a lot for it so it’s all good.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to so careful on ebay. I have bought a few cdv’s. But before I did I spent a lot of time studying what was the correct time period. Things like size, round corners (never had the ability to machine cut round until 1870 or later) the best way to tell is if they have the tax stamp signed and dated.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to so careful on ebay. I have bought a few cdv’s. But before I did I spent a lot of time studying what was the correct time period. Things like size, round corners (never had the ability to machine cut round until 1870 or later) the best way to tell is if they have the tax stamp signed and dated.

I bought it because I liked it I collect Andrew Jackson stuff I thought token. It was only after I saw one like it as a I.D Tag. Before that I didn’t even know what a
I.D tag was. I only paid a a little bit for it. I love it.
But I appreciate also that you taught me something I didn’t know about round cuts. Thanks moose

Last edited:

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought it because I liked it I collect Andrew Jackson stuff I thought token. It was only after I saw one like it as a I.D Tag. Before that I didn’t even know what a
I.D tag was. I only paid a a little bit for it. I love it.
But I appreciate also that you taught me something I didn’t know about round cuts. Thanks moose

No problem. I understand what u are saying. I’ve been on ebay for 20 years both buying and selling and have learned the hard way. Another way to be safe is to read their feedback. But this doesn’t always mean they are correct in what they are saying. Some just don’t know or are incorrectly informed.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem. I understand what u are saying. I’ve been on ebay for 20 years both buying and selling and have learned the hard way. Another way to be safe is to read their feedback. But this doesn’t always mean they are correct in what they are saying. Some just don’t know or are incorrectly informed.

Darn EBay I like the rush too lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread