weekend finds

Dfxcobb

Dec 11, 2016
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
whites mx sport. DFX tesori tiger shark
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
went to a small field the other day. The owner said ot was hunted out there is nothing there and it has been hammered over the years. Kinda discouraged but my and a friend went and wow the most civil war bullets i found in 1 day. A good white patina all these were dropped but i did damage one of them with shovel. Just to be able to pick and object up from that time is awesome and kinda personal. I know some ppl could care less about the history of this great country but knowing you have a piece of history during the time made this country is awesome.Metal detectong is a wonderful hobby please respect the history that it uncovers

Attachments

• 20190314_195118.jpg
    20190314_195118.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
D

Dfxcobb

Dec 11, 2016
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks to all and im very fortunite to be able to find relics during the time when this country was in turmoil and each relic i find has a story.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks to all and im very fortunite to be able to find relics during the time when this country was in turmoil and each relic i find has a story.
You are so right about this. Years after the war was fought and years after these relics were found, we can revisit these pieces of History and reflect back to not only the finding of these relics, but the who, what, when, where, why, and how's of each piece. You are right when you said that each relic has their own story to tell. Each piece whether fired, dropped, lost, carved, discarded, played a role in that terrible war, and a part of our Nations History.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent bullet dig!! :icon_thumright: Keep at it!! Love the thought process :occasion14:

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the CW bullets. Just as exciting to dig as a coin for me. Last week I found 11 sharps bullets in one small area. Most for me in one day by 10. Also my first Sharps. What a high!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in an area where I find a few of the enfields for the ole smooth bore rifles. Some will have a wooden plug still in the end. Somedays just finding a single bullet makes the hunt worth while. You had a great day saving history.
Have you been able to see the movements on any maps of where you are hunting?

OP
OP
D

Dfxcobb

Dec 11, 2016
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
im here in NW AL not an awful amount of CW activity compared to other locations. There were alot of troop movement through the area which means campa sites and a few skirmishes. I have been thankful for the few relics i have found. I look at them several times a week and hold them and just think of who last held it what they were thinking, just me thinking

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are right Dfxcobb. The mind and our imaginations is what makes relics seem alive and speak to us from times past. Some may say that this is a Relic Thang that only Relic Hunters understand. I do the same thing and a lot of times relive the times back when these relics were found and imagine the story that they could tell if they could speak.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to the song, " I am A Good Ole' Rebel ", about 300,000 Southern bullets and shell and shot are buried in cemeteries.

Last edited:

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in an area where I find a few of the enfields for the ole smooth bore rifles. Some will have a wooden plug still in the end. Somedays just finding a single bullet makes the hunt worth while. You had a great day saving history.
Have you been able to see the movements on any maps of where you are hunting?

If it’s a Enfield conical/minie it would be a rifle bullet. The Enfield smooth bore shot a 69 cal ball. Many of the Enfield sb’s were converted to rifles thus came the Enfield minie. The wooden plug pushed the side of the bullet into the rifling when fired.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s a Enfield conical/minie it would be a rifle bullet. The Enfield smooth bore shot a 69 cal ball. Many of the Enfield sb’s were converted to rifles thus came the Enfield minie. The wooden plug pushed the side of the bullet into the rifling when fired.

I , IMHO think both of you are right , maybe TNM meant "Converted " Rifles , I truly believe TN Mountains knows his 'Slicks'

Last week I found 3 dropped Enfield Types just outside a trench 1 tall , 1 medium , 1 short length. (all in a 20 inch circle ) I thought I was in a Rarely hunted spot as I was on cloud 9, Thinking of Minnie or Enfield or Confederate relics jumping out of the ground , I searched the rest of the est , 30 yards of the trench over the next 2-3 hours & found 1 percussion cap , 2 .31 cal dropped balls & a ' what is it' . Still thrilled with my finds.

Also glad I crossed the trench where I did or I likely would have missed these fine bullets.

I still love looking at your Bullets from NW AL Good luck in the future.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I , IMHO think both of you are right , maybe TNM meant "Converted " Rifles , I truly believe TN Mountains knows his 'Slicks'

Last week I found 3 dropped Enfield Types just outside a trench 1 tall , 1 medium , 1 short length. (all in a 20 inch circle ) I thought I was in a Rarely hunted spot as I was on cloud 9, Thinking of Minnie or Enfield or Confederate relics jumping out of the ground , I searched the rest of the est , 30 yards of the trench over the next 2-3 hours & found 1 percussion cap , 2 .31 cal dropped balls & a ' what is it' . Still thrilled with my finds.

Also glad I crossed the trench where I did or I likely would have missed these fine bullets.

I still love looking at your Bullets from NW AL Good luck in the future.
Good for you Davers. It is still a Thrill to dig bullets in the vicinity of a trench line. Keep at it.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, I love them bullets!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting