RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are bullets my dad has found over the early years of his detecting career. These were recovered on the outskirts of Kearnstown, the Wilderness, and Chancellorsville.

DSC_0246.jpg

Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bunch like that in Minnesota - It was the camp site of the Union Army while putting down the Sioux uprising of 1862. I just imagine the soldiers and what they went through..........

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you dig some of these impacted bullets you wonder if they ended some young promising life of it they caused a young soldier to return home minus a limb or two. These were certainly deadly lead missles.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relics would look nice in a display case

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I find a dropped or fired CW bullet I take a moment to reflect on how it got there and what impact that moment in time had on some young man. I find it very humbling.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bunch like that in Minnesota - It was the camp site of the Union Army while putting down the Sioux uprising of 1862. I just imagine the soldiers and what they went through..........

1862. huh
Talk about the Union battling on 2 fronts at the same time , i'm not educated on the Sioux uprising but sounds like a bad situation all the way around.
Glad you saved some relics from that event.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you dig some of these impacted bullets you wonder if they ended some young promising life of it they caused a young soldier to return home minus a limb or two. These were certainly deadly lead missles.

I often wonder as well , I do wonder if there is any "proven" way to tell if a bullet hit flesh , then I'd wonder if it hit a Horse or Mule ???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st off that's a great clear picture, I stared at it for 10-15 min.

Drops get the glory , but as it was stated by another T-net member ( these bullets went through a Soldier loading & firing with (most the time ) the intent of killing another Human.

Also I love to see so may types of Bullet's in that pile , I see a few Gardner's (those a uncommon in my area , esp these days , I see several 3 ringer types , 1 cleaner at least , a round ball or 2 , & many of those were HARD strikes.
I enjoyed the picture thanks.
Davers / Davey

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I often wonder as well , I do wonder if there is any "proven" way to tell if a bullet hit flesh , then I'd wonder if it hit a Horse or Mule ???

I have wondered the same thing. With all the modern technology they have today, wouldn't it be something if they were capable of locating traces of DNA on some of these bullets located beneath the patina that has formed from being in the ground for over 150 years. That would be something.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wondered the same thing. With all the modern technology they have today, wouldn't it be something if they were capable of locating traces of DNA on some of these bullets located beneath the patina that has formed from being in the ground for over 150 years. That would be something.

Great minds think alike . 8-)

Hey Rusty
I'm wondering ..when were these dug? by yr Dad.:metaldetector:

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great minds think alike . 8-)

Hey Rusty
I'm wondering ..when were these dug? by yr Dad.:metaldetector:

He started detecing in the late '90s, and found most of these in the early 2000s. A few are later finds.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He started detecing in the late '90s, and found most of these in the early 2000s. A few are later finds.

Thanks for the fast reply , I asked because of their light patina , I was thinking 1950's or 60's.

I started in 1998 (before a long lull in the early to late 2000's ) let me say finding stuff in 98/99 was much easier than it is today even in 2012 it was much tougher. 'In my area at-least'.

I love the picture with the Medicine bottle as well .
GL & Happy Huntin.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty, that is a cool pic. of the medicine bottle and all that CW lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread