RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just love Civil War artifacts! Do you have a favorite? Several favorites? Are all of them a favorite? Post em' here! If you dug it, or bought it, or inherited it, post a pic, and add a line or two about it.

I currently don't have time to do a few of mine, so you guys get a head start!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_1171.jpg

12 iron case shot dug from a 10x10 foot area along with several small frags. This was obviously where a shell buried itself then exploded.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite a thin silver hand made Star. Cannot 100% say is from a Texas soldier but was dug where Walkers Greyhounds camped at Floyd, Louisiana. Just a field today. The Yankees burnt the courthouse down and parish seat was moved.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559489129.323492.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559489151.870830.jpg

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was a tough one. I've got a few favorites. I'm going to go with my script C button I dug just before the end of last year. I dont have many cavalry buttons. 15461281600051.jpg

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My favorite relic is my iron CS plate I found, along with all the relics from this camp as a whole. It is special to me because it was a virgin Kentucky cavalry camp perfectly preserved (even the original road is preserved nearby, all of this in the forest) and to be the first person ever to detect it is an experience I can never forget and literally felt I had walked back in time. This is just a small portion of what has been found there over the years since I discovered it (still have loads of electrolysis left to do also. )

AA.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite a thin silver hand made Star. Cannot 100% say is from a Texas soldier but was dug where Walkers Greyhounds camped at Floyd, Louisiana. Just a field today. The Yankees burnt the courthouse down and parish seat was moved.

View attachment 1718551 View attachment 1718552

Very Nice !!!

I'd 'say' going by the location you dug it , the odd's of it being a true Texas troops relic are good.
Again NICE!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite relic is my iron CS plate I found, along with all the relics from this camp as a whole. It is special to me because it was a virgin Kentucky cavalry camp perfectly preserved (even the original road is preserved nearby, all of this in the forest) and to be the first person ever to detect it is an experience I can never forget and literally felt I had walked back in time. This is just a small portion of what has been found there over the years since I discovered it (still have loads of electrolysis left to do also. )

View attachment 1718927

Let me say.

I have just stared at this 'IMO' Book Cover Photo , Yes the Iron CS is the BOMB but the KY Staff , Pistol Barrel , Bullet Casting piece , locks , everything . Tells a story

Your Iron turned out great & I hope has inspired to get my electrolysis gig set back up & make another .

It's like a dream digging such a site 'alone' ; I hope all those pieces stay together in the future. ie, the collection as a whole.

Davers

I have also found that most of my Confederate 'Used' buttons I have dug were GS types also.

Last edited:

Dfxcobb

Dec 11, 2016
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
whites mx sport. DFX tesori tiger shark
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is awesome. As you took a walked back in time. That assortment of relics is great!! Valuable history saved.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me say.

I have just stared at this 'IMO' Book Cover Photo , Yes the Iron CS is the BOMB but the KY Staff , Pistol Barrel , Bullet Casting piece , locks , everything . Tells a story

Your Iron turned out great & I hope has inspired to get my electrolysis gig set back up & make another .

It's like a dream digging such a site 'alone' ; I hope all those pieces stay together in the future. ie, the collection as a whole.

Davers

I have also found that most of my Confederate 'Used' buttons I have dug were GS types also.

Hi, Davers. Yep, you are right, it all tells a story and once I get electrolysis finished and everything labeled, I would like to display all the relics from that camp together. I love doing electrolysis, especially once it's a finished piece. Now I'm sorry if made it sound like I dug this site alone, but it wasn't just myself. After I located it, I also invited my brother along, but it's only been me and him that relic hunted this spot. I haven't been there since early spring, but hope to get up there sometime this Summer as I want to do some sifting since the surface has been pounded to death now. lol At the moment just hoping to get out as I have only gotten out about three times this year.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
C'mon you guys, keep posting!

marbles from third day of digging the foundation of a housesite.jpg

Here are two marbles I found during a foundation excavation in Virginia. This was the same house that I found my CS button in. That's right, IN. I found the button in the foundation.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my favorite after restoration.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this backwards loaded & pulled bullet last year. I wonder what the circumstances were for him to do that. 15455271874280.jpg

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are my plates I've found over the years. They're all Gettysburg campaign. 15544361798361.jpg

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug these US base bullets last year. I like them because it took a couple thousand bullets before I found these two in a second corps spot on the Gettysburg retreat. 15462744803390.jpg

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I absolutely love this relic. I found it west of Gettysburg. It was a camp before the battle & a camp on the retreat from it also. Man this button came a long way from home. 15574433632470.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Davers. Yep, you are right, it all tells a story and once I get electrolysis finished and everything labeled, I would like to display all the relics from that camp together. I love doing electrolysis, especially once it's a finished piece. Now I'm sorry if made it sound like I dug this site alone, but it wasn't just myself. After I located it, I also invited my brother along, but it's only been me and him that relic hunted this spot. I haven't been there since early spring, but hope to get up there sometime this Summer as I want to do some sifting since the surface has been pounded to death now. lol At the moment just hoping to get out as I have only gotten out about three times this year.

It's all good .

If I had a brother or sister , I would have likely invited them to the camp I located.

& On 'electrolysis' It is sweet when a piece is done / Id'd ' esp IMO (those small Iron buckles).

GL Getting back out.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely love this relic. I found it west of Gettysburg. It was a camp before the battle & a camp on the retreat from it also. Man this button came a long way from home. View attachment 1720294

YOU DOG!!!

I love it , along with it's history .

Ill get a MS , SC , VA , & Esp TN , AL & LA , someday & if not , it won't be from a lack of trying.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill look for a pic, to add.

PA150387.JPG

I really like this 40 cal Derringer Cartridge , tho it (most likely ) dates to after the war .

They were around during the Civil War tho & it was found in an area with CW relics close by ..Ie. The Script ' I ' that was posted earlier.

P.S. This round had no headstamp that I recall.

GD

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else ?

This is the bottom of a Confederate Brooke Shell I dug 2 years ago , from what I hear it's an uncommon type in most areas.
Thanks for looking.

058.JPG & 059.JPG & 063.JPG and--- 062.JPG .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions