RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 3x Great Uncles, who served in Pennsylvania regiments during the war, might have listened to some of these march tunes, while campaigning in the Carolina's, Camping near Gettysburg, Fighting in Virginia, Guarding Washington or Marching through Kentucky.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some good stuff right there! I love the rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic! Thanks for posting that Rusty!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's some good stuff right there! I love the rendition of the Battle Hymn of the Republic! Thanks for posting that Rusty!

Yes I like that one too, esp the harmonics with the flutes in the chorus. I also think the last one (Paddy on the Handcar/Ed Kellogg's March) is killer as an instrumental. If I could play that "Melodic Style" on the banjo, I'd be "Da Man" at the jam next Saturday! Thanks.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to pick the banjo, too, but sadly my fingers don't move well enough to do it anymore. Arthritis ruined that for me, so I gave my banjo to my son.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love banjos, but given my skills, I would sound better banging pots and pans together.:laughing7:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing RR got it playing at my desk now...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a little tyke, I remember my granddad would put me on his shoulders and we'd head out for a hike. He would also sing songs as we strolled along. One of the songs he sang was goober peas and I asked him why he sang that song and he said it was his favorite marching song over in France during his time in WWI. Later in life I looked up the origin of that tune and found it goes back to the time of the civil war. I'm sure those fellas back then in 1864 enjoyed singing that song as much as my grandad did as they marched along.

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That takes me back to my reenacting days.
Great music!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope ya don't mind me adding one more historic civil war marching tune. I guess they no longer allow garryowen played at the Battle of the Little Bighorn reenactments anymore, due to that fact that Custer's army marched to it before he attacked previous other Native American camps. Then there was the last and final time it was played by his troops there in Montana just before that forever to remember event in American history in 1876.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread