RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this button last year, at a house that J.E.B. Stuart and his staff visited in 1862. This is CS17, in Tices button book, and is a very rare button to dig. William Leigh said he has heard of only 40, if that, ever being dug.

But I have some questions. Answer one, answer all, but I'd like some answers! :) Oh yeah, I included a non- dug pic, just so you can see what it looks like, clean.

1. What rank did you have to be at in order to where one of these?

2. Do any uniforms with these buttons exist today?

3. Who was on J.E.B.'s staff, and would they have worn these?

NSTCW22szg.jpg B7779A.jpg

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no idea here Beautiful button Love the Dirty pic Chug

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leave the dirt on it Unless you can find someone that can professionally clean it Great just the way it is to me

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to nit pick but it is CS 17 in Albert's book. Tice lists it as CS233. I would assume that any rank of officer could have worn this button. I have attached a link to Jeb's staff but there were many officers under his command.

Stuart's Staff Officers

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CreakyDigger posted a link to the same site before me so he wins!:laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were thousands of staff officers in the Confederate army. I actually found a book with a list of them once upon a time ago. Any officer could have worn that button. Lt. and up. Also surgeons. I was surprised to see surgeons listed.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being a 1-piece stamped-brass button, your CS-17 was made very early in the war. Being so extremely rare, they were most probably made for the officers of one particular regiment, as a "special customer order" with a button manufacturer. Another example of that is the super-rare "CS over A" button... made for the officers of a battery of the Louisiana Confederate Washington Artillery. The reason the A is below the CS on that button is, it stands for CS Artillery.

Looong ago (about 30 years), I dug one of the approximately 40 known excavated CS-17 "CS in Shield" brass 1-piece buttons at a Confederate entrenchment related to the 1862 Malvern Hill VA battle. Even that long ago, the place had been pounded really hard by the thousands of Richmond-area relic hunters. That day, I found only three relics... a .69 musketball, an iron musket-tool, and last of all, that button. It's the only civil war relic I ever found which has "the magic letters" on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread