Ni River Reservoir

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my parents just moved into a new house with 6 acres on the Ni River Reservoir in Virginia. A quick look at the location on Google Maps showed that its within a few miles of Spotsylvania Courthouse, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and The Wilderness! Looks like I have to make a trip up to visit with my metal detector! I haven't been able to find much information about the reservoir so far, though. The most I've found is that the reservoir was built in the early to mid-1970s but I haven't been able to find much about what was on the land prior to the reservoir. I'm thinking it was probably just farmland but haven't been able to confirm that so far. Whatever the history I'm excited to get up there and search the property!

Upvote 0

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My family was heavily involved in the actions in the area. I had three 3x great uncles in the 50th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers, and they were at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania and Ny River, etc. I know the area is hunted hard by detectorists, but have fun, and good luck!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I lived in the Fredericksburg-Spotsylvania area, and dug it extensively, from 1978 through 1985. I hunted the Ni River area, and I know a good number of artillery Confederate shells came from there. (They were dud "overshots" from the Spostsylvania Court House lines.) So, when you hunt it, keep an ear out for deeeep iron readings, even if you aren't finding anything else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread