CS plate found east of Tampa FL. I am told it is rare?

dap

Feb 19, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
EQ 8000
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get rid of that 3 and everyones happy lol

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say East of Tampa.... that includes a lot of ground. If you have a town or an area close to a town I have many Fl. books that show camps from all different periods and maybe we can find out where that came from.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a CW veteran's piece, it's still a cool piece of history. I don't think it's "modern" so to speak.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to creskol:
Can I ask what is curious about that? From what I can tell in my brief time on this site is this. A lot of the traffic in some categories seems to be from drop and runs who have a question about some single item and then disappear. If you look at the total roster of accounts most are virtually inactive since they were created.

Just my opinion with nothing to do with creskol's post:
The repeat customers are the rarity and it seems that many of the old guard are a bit territorial. This often leads to newcomers being shunted to the side before they get their legs.

This site is really interesting but it would be really nice if some could step away from their self assigned roles as kingmakers and just try to be helpful for the sake of it.

That said this is a great site and I am very impressed with the help many here a willing to give. Our hobbies have a diminishing pool of adherants. We need to do all we can to help generate interest so we can keep talking about this stuff.

Last edited:

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to make separate that section of the response from the following comment. It was just a comment in general, not an attack.

There are cliques everywhere, I get it. This is no different than the shows where the experts circle around and scoff at the newcomers naïve pricing and merchandise. However the reality is we need these newcomers and yes potential hacks to be around now and then to spur interest in the hobbies and interests that we enjoy.

If the plates a phoney, great! It's not the first one. Its a great lesson to discuss it and a good learning opportunity. The fact that the guy that dropped the phoney hasn't posted since the last time he dropped and ran, not so much. Actually, its more fun to see everyone debate the phoney- reality of the item than the backslapping that would occur if it was real, IMO

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a kind of science forensics guy. If something really interests me, I will investigate it to death. What I would like to see is the OP put a piece of thin paper on the back of the plate and lighty go over the paper with pencil. This technique should should show the marking of the tent and soldiers. If this is a custom made piece, it may have been made for a very high ranking member of the Confederate States military. I would scour all resources of photographs of CSA military members to see if I could find this plate. I would even go as far as to contact the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.
If I found out this was an authentic war relic, I probably would not post anymore. The reason being that something like this item could be valued in the 6 figure range if linked to a famous Civil War figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread