CS plate found east of Tampa FL. I am told it is rare?

dap

Feb 19, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
EQ 8000
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah.... if its legit, rare would be an understatement.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice...that would look great in a display (sadly not mine) great find!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed a couple things. First is it solid cast brass? That makes a difference. The two attachment pieces I have not seen before and I haven't seen originals with stampings in the back. Curious.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those attachments I've never seen on a period CS plate. If I were you I would email someone like Harry Ridgeway at relicman.com. I hope I'm wrong, but I've never seen one made similar to it during the Civil War period. There is also no documented CS marked cartridge boxplates of any kind during the Civil War and those attachments are not for a belt plate, but would only be for a cartridge box. Like I mentioned, I would recommend to contact him as he is an expert on reproductions and fakes. What type of site was this found on, was other Civil War relics found nearby? Meant to also say there are a few varieties of solid cast CS ovals, like in the Breckinridge design, but nothing anywhere close to this one. Don't like to be a bearer of bad news though.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those attachments I've never seen on a period CS plate. If I were you I would email someone like Harry Ridgeway at relicman.com. I hope I'm wrong, but I've never seen one made similar to it during the Civil War period. There is also no documented CS marked cartridge boxplates of any kind during the Civil War and those attachments are not for a belt plate, but would only be for a cartridge box. Like I mentioned, I would recommend to contact him as he is an expert on reproductions and fakes. What type of site was this found on, was other Civil War relics found nearby? Meant to also say there are a few varieties of solid cast CS ovals, like in the Breckinridge design, but nothing anywhere close to this one. Don't like to be a bearer of bad news though.

You mean there are fakes in the field??

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I even dug a fake 8 reale cob once!

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sadly I wasn't joking. I would never have dreamed that folks would find fakes in the field. That boggles my mind.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sadly, if for some reason there was a wildcard one-of-a-kind with unique attachments, it would be virtually impossible to get dealers and relic hunters to accept its authenticity. Only if there was another similar example found on a soldier (or cartridge box) in a period photo or in a museum relic with rock-solid provenance. That's what reproductions and fakes have done for the CS plates. For every real one there are probably a thousand fakes, if not more. Crooks try to pass fakes as real on Ebay all the time because they know they can bring big dollars.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a CS metal plate and would like to post the picture to get some options.

Several experts tell me no doubt it is authentic! They say it is rare and maybe one of a kind.

They have all said it is definitely not a cartridge bag plate.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Well, my thoughts are that depending on who you are, the story accompanying the artifact and or the general culture or mood of the admins, in an alternate universe your find would have been put up on the banner sometime late yesterday similarly to several others that have appeared over the years without any discussion or question as to their authenticity.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worm slicer is correct. One of a kinds don't do very well when it comes to selling them. The dealers tend to shy away. If they can't show you a picture in a book somewhere, they figure they will get stuck with it and re sell it.

Yes, I was at a Virginia dig a few years back, and a plate dug was brand new with something like "ha ha" etc. on the back.

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enlarged the back shot and I am pretty sure that there is a tent with 3 soldiers behind it and maybe one seated beside it, below the #3. Would that be found on an original plate?

Attachments

• cs buckle.png
    cs buckle.png
    325.8 KB · Views: 122

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enlarged the back shot and I am pretty sure that there is a tent with 3 soldiers behind it and maybe one seated beside it, below the #3. Would that be found on an original plate?

Yes.
IMO The way the Tent is set up with 2 ? guys standing near it's entrance , Tent is just below the ' 3 ' .

Cool that it's 'Solider filled ' or looks like it ( still could be all Brass ? )

I 'Think' this plate is legit & "found near Tampa ? WOW ..just shows you never know what you will dig.

BANNER . If legit.

Edit, I see the OP is new but this is a Banner find anytime .

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my thoughts are that depending on who you are, the story accompanying the artifact and or the general culture or mood of the admins, in an alternate universe your find would have been put up on the banner sometime late yesterday similarly to several others that have appeared over the years without any discussion or question as to their authenticity.

Per , Site rules Brand New Members are not eligible for the Banner scroll .

Yes a good story helps .

We hunters Know a Banner or Equally interesting find when we see one.

Heck half the relics pictured would be Banner finds for me. LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a CS metal plate and would like to post the picture to get some options.

Several experts tell me no doubt it is authentic! They say it is rare and maybe one of a kind.

They have all said it is definitely not a cartridge bag plate.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Almost a week & no more info from 'Dap'..... We shall see ???

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think we need a much cleaner and clearer shot of the back, like I asked for in my first reply, in order to determine anything about the back. Blowing the OP's photo up is like seeing Jesus in a pancake.
Yep!! Those studs on the back still messing with my mind :dontknow:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been made by a soldier that would be cool

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely it's not from the Civil War. Remember, the vets had reunions until well into the 20th century. That "3" on the back is the kiss of death for it. Every last plate I have seen over the years with something
in the back has been put there to make folks think it's from the Civil War. Army of Tennessee relics has some nice stuff. I've never seen one like this on his or anyone else's site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread