jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Positions of Rebel Forces, Batteries, Entrenchments and Encampments in Virginia---The Fortifications for the Protection of Richmond

The New York herald. [volume] (New York [N.Y.]), 17 June 1861.
000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...acco&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=3

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll ask the question again. Why did the South decide their capital should be within spitball distance of their enemy?

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richmond was the financial and intellectual capital of the south. Read that as "it was where the money was".

It wasn't a bad decision or even as it turned out a relevant one. The North never did take it until the end.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've read that the primary reason the Confederate capital was changed (in very early 1861) from Montgomery AL to Richmond VA was Richmond being the location of the Tredegar Ironworks... which at that time was the only industrial facility in the South that was capable of "rolling" massive iron for railroad-rails and warship armor-plating. It was also one of only two facilities in the South at that time capable of casting massive Heavy Caliber cannons. The enormously important Tredegar industrial complex could not be moved, and its loss would be a very seriously crippling blow to Confederate war-materials production. So, the nation's capital was moved to Tredegar's city, which did indeed have the desired effect of ensuring that Tredegar wouldn't be lost until all else was lost.

Last edited:

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember also that Virginia produced almost all of the intellectual capital of the original revolution. The masses would understand that Virginia connection to rebellion better than some other remote local that was just a wilderness in those times.
Back then almost everything in life was local. Overarching national themes were rare and the Virginian domination in the creation of the original states was one of the most prominent things etched in many Southern minds.

In addition they wanted Lee. Perhaps there was some backroom deal lost to history. We know far less about the past than we think we do.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll ask the question again. Why did the South decide their capital should be within spitball distance of their enemy?
They should have left the capital in Montgomery, Alabama.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe part of the reason they moved the Confetrit' Capital was the idea to try to keep the war out of the deep South and keep it further north, but we saw how that worked out with Uncle Billy and his boys.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can only infer the truth as best as we were able.

It could have been optimism that the war would be short and Lincoln was just bluffing about forcing them back. To those that felt that way the strategic location (or lack of) would have been irrelevant to their decision.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CannonballGuy, Force of Iron, and devildog, my question was sincere, and your replies were outstanding. What all of you said make sense, your knowledge of history, and insight into the South's motivations, politically, and strategically, have given me a better understanding of what on the surface, seemed foolish to me.

You guys are great.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can only infer the truth as best as we were able.

It could have been optimism that the war would be short and Lincoln was just bluffing about forcing them back. To those that felt that way the strategic location (or lack of) would have been irrelevant to their decision.

I read recently that neither side thought the war would last long. The south figured that the northern democrats would force Lincoln to back off and recognize the south as an independent country. The north thought they would just overpower the south because of their significantly higher numbers. Both sides armies were mostly State militias with almost no training or experience. The North had to become the aggressor (Bull run) in order to show they meant business and would not allow secession. If not the South was just going to guard their proclaimed border and let the politicians decide.
The capital was only in Alabama a short time because Virginia hadn’t left the Union. Once it did the capital was immediately moved to Richmond.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
As the old saying goes, " Never underestimate the strength of your enemy !"
Unfortunately , this is overlooked, even in today's wars.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was a most Horrible war as most are. NOTHING civil about it. As stated, both sides believed that the war would be over within 6 months at the start of the war with enlistment being for 6 months. Then reality set in....4 years of our country at war with itself at a cost of over 620,000 American lives. These nuts running around shouting for civil war best be careful what they wish for. These folks truly don't know their History, for it they did this would be the last thing that they would wish for themselves, their families, and their country as well as their fellow countrymen. When reading into the History and the letters and diaries written by those soldiers who fought in this war, this war turned out to be nothing that they imagined it to be in their minds at the start of the war. This to me and many others is still heartwrenching 158 years later.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I agree with you, 100%, Devldog.

I was in the Vietnam War, & there was nothing glorious about it ! It was expected to be over with in months, as well. I still carry mental & physical wounds from this.
Ever since then, I have said, " Humans,,, are the most INHUMANE animals of all !"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread