Artillery fragments and some other old finds

Virginiaguy

Jun 29, 2019
Northern Virginia/Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Fischer 1266-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings........been off the site for a few months.....trying to shake off Lyme disease I suspect I picked up looking for points. So anyway, I was poking around in my basement this morning and found a box of civil war finds I dug a number of years ago. Mostly Artillery fragments and some other odd's and ends. Please share comments in you recognize any of this stuff. Thanks to all.

Attachments

• Fragments 1.JPG
    Fragments 1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • Fragments 2.JPG
    Fragments 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • Stuff 1.JPG
    Stuff 1.JPG
    986.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Chain.JPG
    Chain.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some explosive spherical and parrot shell fragments, The middle piece of the third picture is a scaffold pin from pre 80's. The last pic looks like a satchel chain handle. Those are my best "guesses"

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll reply about your various artillery-shell fragments. Unfortunately, the ruler in the photo is very close to the camera lens and the frags are a good bit further back from it... whuich makes the ruler useless for we viewers trying to accurately judge the size and thickness of the fragments. Fortunately, I recognize the exploded shell base as a 2.9"-caliber US Read-Parrott shell's base. The thickness of side-frags from that 2.9"-caliber shell and its Confederate counterpart (a 2.9" CS Read Long-Model shell) are usually about 7/16th-inch thick. If the other straight-sided cylindrical frags in the photo are a little thicker than 1/2" but less than 3/4" they are from a "20-Pounder" (3.67"-caliber) US Read-Parrott, US Parrott, or CS Read Long-Model 3.67"-caliber shell. (I said "straight-sided" because Schenkl Percussion shell side-frags tend to be a bit curved along their length.) See the photos of sawed-in-half shells, below.

The roundshell frag in front of the shell-base appears to be either a 6-Pounder or 12-Pounder caliber Case-Shot frag.

The Heavy Caliber roundshell frag's thickness, compared to the known size of your 2.9"-caliber shell-base next to it, appears to be greater than 1.7-inches, which is the shellwall thickness of a 9"-caliber yankee Navy roundshell. If that guess about your big-ball frag's thickness is correct (thicker than 1.7-inches), it must be from either a 10" or 11"-caliber roundshell. (It's not thick enough to be from a 13" or 15" roundshell.)

Attachments

• shell_halfsection_Read-Parrott_2.9inch_Case-Shot_CAN-BURSTER_SULFUR-matrix_BedallCollection_6713.jpg
    shell_halfsection_Read-Parrott_2.9inch_Case-Shot_CAN-BURSTER_SULFUR-matrix_BedallCollection_6713.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 66
  • shell_halfsection_Schenkl_3inch_percussion_ebay_4431_1.jpg
    shell_halfsection_Schenkl_3inch_percussion_ebay_4431_1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
003.JPG Just for reference comparison .These shrapnel fragments are from a Chinese rocket attack (Vietnam) 1970.Note how much more jagged and sharp the edges are compared to above pix.1&2. Probably because of,one, higher explosive material used & two their not weather beaten.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll reply about your various artillery-shell fragments. Unfortunately, the ruler in the photo is very close to the camera lens and the frags are a good bit further back from it... whuich makes the ruler useless for we viewers trying to accurately judge the size and thickness of the fragments. Fortunately, I recognize the exploded shell base as a 2.9"-caliber US Read-Parrott shell's base. The thickness of side-frags from that 2.9"-caliber shell and its Confederate counterpart (a 2.9" CS Read Long-Model shell) are usually about 7/16th-inch thick. If the other straight-sided cylindrical frags in the photo are a little thicker than 1/2" but less than 3/4" they are from a "20-Pounder" (3.67"-caliber) US Read-Parrott, US Parrott, or CS Read Long-Model 3.67"-caliber shell. (I said "straight-sided" because Schenkl Percussion shell side-frags tend to be a bit curved along their length.) See the photos of sawed-in-half shells, below.

The roundshell frag in front of the shell-base appears to be either a 6-Pounder or 12-Pounder caliber Case-Shot frag.

The Heavy Caliber roundshell frag's thickness, compared to the known size of your 2.9"-caliber shell-base next to it, appears to be greater than 1.7-inches, which is the shellwall thickness of a 9"-caliber yankee Navy roundshell. If that guess about your big-ball frag's thickness is correct (thicker than 1.7-inches), it must be from either a 10" or 11"-caliber roundshell. (It's not thick enough to be from a 13" or 15" roundshell.)

I could read The Cannon Ball Guy's Posts & teaching all day long.
Very nice Iron & preservation work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread