fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased my brothers collection a few years ago but let him keep it with the understanding that if something happened to him first I would get it and if I passed before him he would keep it. Sadly, I took possession of what relics he had left and now will need help with some of them.
I will start with three projectiles. The larger of the two round balls is 3.5" in diameter and weighs 5lb 14oz on my postal scales. The smaller ball is 3" and weighs 4lb 3oz. Both balls have a seam in them. In the picture the seam is running vertically on both pieces. The seam is harder to see on the 3.5" ball but it is there.
The shell is about 9"s long, 3" in diameter and weighs 13.6lbs on my bathroom scales. I don't have a scale to accurately measure its weight. I am pretty sure the large ball and the shell are projectiles but the small ball I question.
Any help in IDing them with there correct names is much appreciated.

Attachments

• round balls.jpg
    round balls.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 80
  • shell 1.jpg
    shell 1.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 101
  • shell 2.jpg
    shell 2.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannon ball guy and NOLA ken identified my projectiles in the "what is it" forum. Large round ball is good. Small one is not and the shell is a 75mm from WWii.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The projectile head is off a cased munition. Don't know that stuff very well to date it but pretty sure it sat on a brass shell casing at some time. It has never been fired it has been removed/ disarmed and then lost somewhere, or perhaps just poorly stored in some ones shed or the like

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased my brothers collection a few years ago but let him keep it with the understanding that if something happened to him first I would get it and if I passed before him he would keep it. Sadly, I took possession of what relics he had left and now will need help with some of them.
I will start with three projectiles. The larger of the two round balls is 3.5" in diameter and weighs 5lb 14oz on my postal scales. The smaller ball is 3" and weighs 4lb 3oz. Both balls have a seam in them. In the picture the seam is running vertically on both pieces. The seam is harder to see on the 3.5" ball but it is there.
The shell is about 9"s long, 3" in diameter and weighs 13.6lbs on my bathroom scales. I don't have a scale to accurately measure its weight. I am pretty sure the large ball and the shell are projectiles but the small ball I question.
Any help in IDing them with there correct names is much appreciated.

Man .
I wish that I could help but I have dug only frags , so I never have studied Artillery Shells the way I should have.

Hope TCBG has answered by now , ill check asap .

I'm still stunned bout yr brother but I Believe He is with The / His Lord.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That big shell is from WWII, but I don't know what kind it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread