fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started this in another thread but figured it would do better in one of its own. My brother found 21 .69 caliber and 4 .58 caliber Minies in one hole at Antietam Battlefield back in the 80s when he had permission to hunt a spot that is now part of the park system.
I wanted to display them so I put them in a frame but I didn't like the background. I had some white foam rubber so I got some black Rit dye and had at it. I like the results and the display will even stand up without any of the bullets moving.

Attachments

• all from one hole 1.jpg
    all from one hole 1.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 74
  • all from one hole 2.jpg
    all from one hole 2.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 69
  • all from one hole 3.jpg
    all from one hole 3.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job FF1. I use a lot of black and red in most of my displays. Turned out real nice

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use felt wrapped around the original backing in riker boxes. Wrapped foam would look just as good.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use felt wrapped around the original backing in riker boxes. Wrapped foam would look just as good.

Thanks for the reply. I used foam by itself in the above display. I may get some red dye and see how it comes out.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks GREAT! .. I really like the black/cherry contrast! Makes those whitish bullets "POP"

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Beautiful work. Congratulations

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking display FF1. It's great that you and your brother were able to have the same passion for our History and relic hunting. This is part of your brothers legacy and now you can enjoy it and share it with others and one day pass it on to a family member, etc. I know your brother would be proud for you to have them and would be rest assured that they are in good hands and Save keeping. Thanks for sharing these pics with us. I was fortunate enough to talk to your brother Joe a few times on the forum here. He seemed like a really great guy and enjoyed relic hunting. I always enjoyed seeing pics of some of his finds when he posted them.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice display. The black background sets off the rounds and the redish color frame makes it look professional.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I want to get nicer frames but, for now, these inexpensive ones from Hobby Lobby will do. I also have some old wood that I could make display cases out of.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is what I do .

I went to Wally World or Hobby Lobby ??? and bought a few feet of green , red felt to put over the white.

Also for smaller (stand up cases ) you can use 'Wet foam / dry foam ' in order to help the heavy Minnie's stay in place .

I think when I mailed your brother his package last year , I set his Bullets in a piece of Styrofoam ( way over done ) with tape holding them in place .

I still have not located his package but pretty sure there was a Fired Prussian ( found near a famous Wall ? ) + another .69 or 2 , & maybe a flat button .

When I locate the package , Ill let you know ASAP, exactly what he sent .

Ill label Him as the digger along with the area found when I finally able to sort , display , ID , & esp , clean some Iron .

The display's & their contents look wonderful.
Davey

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have felt but don't really like the way it puckers around objects. The foam cradles the items and forms around them without puckering. I have red and black dye and am going to experiment with some other colors. It's easy to dye the foam and once it dries it will not come off so nothing will get stained. I use Rit synthetic dye.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread