Apr 8, 2019
North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning,
I'm not sure if I've shown this on this forum or not so I decided to post it.
My son and I hunted a private farm in view of Cedar Mountain in April of this year and found a few items that I would like to share with you
here. We both had small Garrett coin shooter type detectors and didn't expect to find very much stuff. We spent 3 days there and didn't find
a lot but what we did find was very exciting to say the least. All comments would be appreciated and any detailed information on any of the Items would be of great help.

Attachments

• ggg - Copy - Copy.jpg
    ggg - Copy - Copy.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 1 - Copy.JPG
    1 - Copy.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7677.JPG
    IMG_7677.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7682.JPG
    IMG_7682.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7685.JPG
    IMG_7685.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bullet is a ring tail, also called a tie ring, Sharps. Measurements will help ID it more precisely. The stirrup may be older than civil war period. In the group picture, top right looks like a suspender buckle depending on size. Post pictures of it and the other objects with a coin or ruler so we can tell how big or small they are. Oh yeah, welcome to the forums.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree about the "Ringtail" Sharps bullet. It appears to be a .52-caliber, but as my friend Fyrffytr1 said, we need precise measurement of its diameter, for certainty in identifying its caliber. The "Ringtail" Sharps bullets were used mostly by cavalry, and by both sides in the war. Yours is unfired, by the way. Unlike with a fired bullet, there's often additional unfired ones very nearby (a few feet or yards) where you dug it... so go back and hunt that spot really closely.

In the group-photo, the top row 2nd-from-left object is the base of a fired US 3"-caliber Hotchkiss shell. If you look closely around its edge, you can see it is marked "Hotchkiss Pat[ent] Oct. 16, 1855."

To its right, a lead ball which has been chewed-on by a squirrel who thought it was a nut. we need precise diameter measurement to tell if it is a pistolball, a musketball, or an artillery Case-Shot ball.

To the right of that lead ball, an uncleaned bullet which MIGHT be an unfired US .54-caliber Burnside Carbine bullet, missing the brass cartridge-casing it came in. Please clean all the encrustation off it, and post a photo, along with its diameter measurement, so we can correctly identify it for you.

In the group photo's upper right corner, your find appears to be a civil war era suspenders-strap adjuster buckle. However, that version, having a "tongue tab," can also be from a decade or two after the end of the civil war.

At lower left in the group photo, your find is a zinc US Bormann timefuze, from an exploded cannonball. If you look closely between the two sunken squares, you can see the "US" marking, with the S backwards.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Cannonballguy stole any thunder that was going to follow, lol!

I love Culpeper. I was born and raised there, and love to visit it in the early spring. Great country up there.

OP
OP
R

RME

Greenie
Apr 8, 2019
North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys.
Attached photos of Lead Ball, Bullet & Suspender clasp. I was able to read letters a little better on backside of suspender clasp so I took a picture and reversed the lettering, I believe it reads PAT 1856, DOES IT LOOK THE SAME TO YOU?
Sorry for all the BIG pictures above, I tried to change them but my Edit button is gone.
1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Day to you Sir.

I agree about the "Ringtail" Sharps bullet. It appears to be a .52-caliber, but as my friend Fyrffytr1 said, we need precise measurement of its diameter, for certainty in identifying its caliber. The "Ringtail" Sharps bullets were used mostly by cavalry, and by both sides in the war. Yours is unfired, by the way. Unlike with a fired bullet, there's often additional unfired ones very nearby (a few feet or yards) where you dug it... so go back and hunt that spot really closely.

In the group-photo, the top row 2nd-from-left object is the base of a fired US 3"-caliber Hotchkiss shell. If you look closely around its edge, you can see it is marked "Hotchkiss Pat[ent] Oct. 16, 1855."

To its right, a lead ball which has been chewed-on by a squirrel who thought it was a nut. we need precise diameter measurement to tell if it is a pistolball, a musketball, or an artillery Case-Shot ball.

To the right of that lead ball, an uncleaned bullet which MIGHT be an unfired US .54-caliber Burnside Carbine bullet, missing the brass cartridge-casing it came in. Please clean all the encrustation off it, and post a photo, along with its diameter measurement, so we can correctly identify it for you.

In the group photo's upper right corner, your find appears to be a civil war era suspenders-strap adjuster buckle. However, that version, having a "tongue tab," can also be from a decade or two after the end of the civil war.

At lower left in the group photo, your find is a zinc US Bormann timefuze, from an exploded cannonball. If you look closely between the two sunken squares, you can see the "US" marking, with the S backwards.

WOW, I love the knowledge , you exude Civil War knowledge of "metal" but many other CW Items as well.
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving , Christmas Season.

I wish you could down load yr knowledge . + you keep me form having to look through my Francis Lord & other reference books .

Sorry I should have PM this but got excited to see TCBG had posted today and immediately started typing .

I (plan) to ask you a ? in a PM ASAP , Just reply when u can. Thank You.

IDEA :lightbulb:.. Ill just read all your posts from the beginning !!! Yea that's it . :thumbsup:
Davers
David
Dave
Davey
& From the wife Mr, Bull Head.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Cannonballguy stole any thunder that was going to follow, lol!

I love Culpeper. I was born and raised there, and love to visit it in the early spring. Great country up there.

I never been to VA / W VA , only drove through then , ill swing in that St , some day even if its at a I-95 rest-stop.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never been to VA / W VA , only drove through then , ill swing in that St , some day even if its at a I-95 rest-stop.

I was born and raised in both states. North Eastern West Virginia is awesome, beautiful scenery, great places to shop and live in... Western West Virginia... prepare to hear the banjos.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys.
Attached photos of Lead Ball, Bullet & Suspender clasp. I was able to read letters a little better on backside of suspender clasp so I took a picture and reversed the lettering, I believe it reads PAT 1856, DOES IT LOOK THE SAME TO YOU?
Sorry for all the BIG pictures above, I tried to change them but my Edit button is gone.
View attachment 1774862 View attachment 1774863 View attachment 1774864

First , great photos and measurements , Welcome to T-net.
TCBG nailed it , Now that bullet has me wondering , it has environmental damage but IMHO it a 44 cal type . That was hard to figure out . ???

I wanted to comment on the beautiful buckle & yes I see 1856 .
+
I have never dug a Stirrup , in 20 years , I wanna say that ill; (Be Glad but take either), find a CS CSA Plate before the stirrup.

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of finds!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking Colt Pattern/Richmond Labs maybe??

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey the 'Banjos ' start down here. lol

I was born and raised in both states. North Eastern West Virginia is awesome, beautiful scenery, great places to shop and live in... Western West Virginia... prepare to hear the banjos.

I guess you live in Banjo Land or coal country ( sorry I only been to KY 1 time when I was 10 ish) so vision of KY W VA , is coal , Hills, Opiates ( A huge issue here as well ) & poverty . No offence , I been 'Low middle class' all my life.

Deliverance
Was filmed in NE Ga , It's lovely up that way & only an hour depending on the part of the State u travel to.

Basically if I drive 1 hour NE it's a different world .

Just started watching Ozark as it was filmed ( 1 st season mostly ) 7 miles up the road , it's cool cause , in the back-ground I can see places I have detected for almost 2 decades & I can see the 45-50 foot Cliffs that we used to jump off of .

Ill shut up for now , I got a button to look for on this site & again "Sidetracked " I am .

Fine Relics OP , Thank you for posting them.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking Colt Pattern/Richmond Labs maybe??

I was goona mention 'Richmond Labs ' but the corrosion makes it hard to get a good measurement .

GD OP & CM1

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess you live in Banjo Land or coal country ( sorry I only been to KY 1 time when I was 10 ish) so vision of KY W VA , is coal , Hills, Opiates ( A huge issue here as well ) & poverty . No offence , I been 'Low middle class' all my life.

Deliverance
Was filmed in NE Ga , It's lovely up that way & only an hour depending on the part of the State u travel to.

Basically if I drive 1 hour NE it's a different world .

Just started watching Ozark as it was filmed ( 1 st season mostly ) 7 miles up the road , it's cool cause , in the back-ground I can see places I have detected for almost 2 decades & I can see the 45-50 foot Cliffs that we used to jump off of .

Ill shut up for now , I got a button to look for on this site & again "Sidetracked " I am .

Fine Relics OP , Thank you for posting them.
Davers

Yep, I live on the Ky/Wv border, and we got everything you mentioned, plus the redneck mafia. They hung a deer skin on our gate one year, and we burned it and made sure they knew about it. :laughing7:

It's nice here though. I do love Virginia and Georgia though. Man I miss being in Georgia.

Sorry about the thread hijack, I'll stop now. :)

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RME, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. Those are some Great looking finds and saves from Culpepper, Virginia. I really like the Ring Tail Sharps bullet and the stirrup. All very nice finds.

OP
OP
R

RME

Greenie
Apr 8, 2019
North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have good information on the Stirrup or know how I can find knowledgeable info.
Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Culpeper is a TOUGH place to hunt. With all the iron hematite, magnetite, and gold in the ground, (the gold in spots), it's a real challenge. Everything is stained rust red. It's our estimation the new Cygnus 1X will punch through that ground and whoop even a PI machine there! Just think, no more nails in Culpeper unless you want them! I'll know pretty soon as its one of my test spots. I have three permissions there, and two nearby, still in super hot ground.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Culpeper is a TOUGH place to hunt. With all the iron hematite, magnetite, and gold in the ground, (the gold in spots), it's a real challenge. Everything is stained rust red. It's our estimation the new Cygnus 1X will punch through that ground and whoop even a PI machine there! Just think, no more nails in Culpeper unless you want them! I'll know pretty soon as its one of my test spots. I have three permissions there, and two nearby, still in super hot ground.

I find at least a gallon bucket of nails every time I step foot in the county.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions