RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gettysburg has been a passion of mine for a while. While I still don't know everything about the battle, I'm still learning. One of the neat things about Gettysburg, is an often overlooked post battle story of possibly the greatest relic dash in U.S. history. The shells that hit the ground on day one hadn't even cooled yet before people were trying to pick them up. For weeks, months, years, curious tourists and relic hunters alike descended on the small Pennsylvania town as an army. Anything that wasn't bolted down was taken, and if it was bolted down, they took pieces off of it. (Okay, a little bit of truthful exaggeration)

It was indeed one of the biggest relic hunts ever, and it still goes on today. Relic hunters with metal detectors knock on doors on private property surrounding the battlefield pretty much daily, much to the exasperation of the locals I'm sure. The lucky few who do get permission pound the area hard, even though a bazillion other guys probably pounded the same ground as they have before.

John Cullison, the Rosensteels, J.A. Danner, Edward Woodward, and John Good made themselves famous just by making Gettysburg relics their life, whether by finding them, displaying them, selling them, engraving or carving them.

Over 7,000,000 bullets were fired, during the three day period, a whopping 250 tons of fired lead alone. This does not even count how many were dropped by panicked or clumsy soldiers. This also does not count the many thousands of things left behind by the soldiers after the battle and retreat.

Below are some of my pieces of Gettysburg.

DSC_0281.jpg

Found on Little Roundtop, by a Union veteran during an 1880s reunion. The soldiers first name is unknown, but his last name was McPherson. He is unrelated to the owner of the McPherson farm at Gettysburg.

DSC_0280.jpg

Bullet found on Culps Hill sometime after the battle by a local relic hunter.

DSC_0283.jpg

High impact bullet found along the Fairfield road, in between Reynolds woods, and Whilloughby Run, in 2005 at a construction site.

01_surrender.jpg

Pickups from the Peach Orchard, part of the local Ollinger collection.

890643701.jpg

Beautiful mushroomed Gardner bullet, found on Culps Hill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
952742480.jpg

Found along the Fairfield road, in between Reynolds Woods and Whilloughby Run, in 2005 at a modern construction site.

1028574021.jpg

Washington Arsenal bullet, found by Iva Rosensteel, at Devils Den.

1047079088.jpg

Found at the base of Culps hill, at the start of the Confederate attack.

1083735907.jpg

Found by Iva Rosensteel, by the present day "Loop" of road bordering the Wheatfield, beside the Irish Brigade monument.

1183238280.jpg

Another Iva Rosensteel pickup, this one found in between Little Roundtop and Devils Den. I think this area was called the Slaughter Pen.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1148324162.jpg

Rosensteel Family collection, found by famed local relic hunter, John Cullison, in the field of Picketts Charge.

1189325954.jpg

Rosensteel collection, found by John Cullison, along the Emmitsburg road fence, Picketts Charge.

1211265783.jpg

Bullet found near Reynolds Woods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0289.jpg

Roundball found by Mike Conklin, along the Emmitsburg road on private property, bordering the battlefield. The extreme right of the Confederate army passed through here.

1037680797.jpg

Bayonet scabbard tip found by Mike Conklin on private property behind the Roundtops, in a New York reserve area.

1189353630.jpg

12 pounder shell frag found by Iva Rosensteel on Herrs Ridge.

DSC_0112.jpg

Bullets found by Peyton Manning...the Tnet one, along the Union approach.

DSC_0493.jpg

Pretty self explanatory. The Hankey farm is located two miles North West of Gettysburg, along the Mummasburg road. It was used as a field hospital for Rhodes division, Daniels and Iversons brigades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll post more tomorrow. I'm having trouble with pictures.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the way, let me know if y'all have any Gettysburg items that you would consider letting go. I like giving relics a home. :)

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Done on the Gettysburg lead Rusty.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just through Gettysburg yesterday dropping of my deer to the butcher. I live in Fairfield and the Battle of Fairfield is just a mile down the road so no place is safe even 10 miles from Gettysburg. There's a lot of relics to go around.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just through Gettysburg yesterday dropping of my deer to the butcher. I live in Fairfield and the Battle of Fairfield is just a mile down the road so no place is safe even 10 miles from Gettysburg. There's a lot of relics to go around.

I would love to just go up there once with may camera, and my pockets filled with $10's and $20's for the shops...

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to just go up there once with may camera, and my pockets filled with $10's and $20's for the shops...

I’ve been to a couple of shops around Gettysburg. You better take 50’s and lot’s of them. [emoji41]

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother and myself visited Gettysburg back in 2012. It was a great trip. We visited the Horse Soldier Relic Shop. This was one Great shop with some really nice relics.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never have been there but hope to someday.
Great Pictures.

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My great-great-great grandfather died on the second day of the battle. 3rd SCVI. Would love to go there one day!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My great-great-great grandfather died on the second day of the battle. 3rd SCVI. Would love to go there one day!

My gggreat uncle fought, er, ran, with the 26th Emergency P.A. a few days before the battle. At least he was in the area. :laughing7:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Highstrung, this would be a most memorable trip for you in more ways than one. You will leave there with a feeling you will never forget or get over. A Most Humbling Experience. Go whenever you are able to. You will not regret it. JMHO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions