I really hope this button is what it appears to be!

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

Today we hunted a site in the woods where at least 1 small home stood. My detecting partner found a CW general service button and another small button that we haven't IDed yet.

I found a cast block I button that I'm really hoping is Confederate Infantry. The shank looks thinner than the other cast I buttons I'm seeing online. It doesn't show in the pics, but it has a rounded shape and the diameter is about the size of a quarter.

I'd love to get confirmation this really is a Confederate Infantry button.

Thanks!

lU0CJJv.jpg

mERS1uS.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If White metal ( it does look it ) that's the best condition Cast (pot-metal / Pewter ) I have seen dug . Usually they are eaten & pitted like a Zinc Cent.

In that condition , I say banner.
Davers

Thanks!

It does have a couple spots that may be either pitting or possibly flaws in the casting. I just left the dirt in them so they aren't as noticeable. You can see one almost in the center of the I.

Beachrelic

May 20, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your button is definitely a Confederate Block I that is cast out of white metal or pewter. We have found several in my area of NC. The cast brass buttons usually are one piece with the loop included. The pewter or white metal buttons had copper loops added when cast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread