The French Connection

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hunt was a while back, but I never got around to posting pictures. My partner and I were researching possible locations for a Fremont-era early war Yankee camp in the area and we had a pretty decent location pegged. We got boots on the ground and started sweeping the best looking terrain of the area. After a few hours, we were coming up nearly blank with a few shot pistol balls.

We move to the steeper, north sloping area and my friend hits on some mid-1900’s silver (half dollar and a dime if I recall). Our spirits perk up a bit, as we are both ok with coinshooting at this point. I get a 12-37 signal on my CTX and cut the plug, hoping to find an Indian cent or the elusive minie bullet. I see the white oxidized lead but notice that the bullet looks a little different. After brushing the dirt away, I had found a triangle-high-based .69 bullet that we call “French triangles.” I ran over to my partner and flopped it in his glove. Suddenly, silver coins were off the menu and we proceeded to hit the area low and slow. It wasn’t long until he had uncovered his first ever French triangle.

Now, up to this point, I have found five of the French triangles before and all of them were associated with early-war Yankee camps. The most I had ever found in one spot was 3. They are fairly rare bullet in Missouri. We were completely amazed to see so many of them get under our coils at this spot. The site also gave up .69 and .58 minies along with various pistol bullets.

We ended up with 35 French triangles between us. I found 10 in one hole alone (and a 10-count hole of .69 minies). We only found one button, a plain flat button. Based on the lack of other brass stuff or iron campsite items, my partner believes this was a picket spot. That means the main camp is still waiting out there somewhere for us to find.

IMG_20190101_190222127.jpg

IMG_20181222_183646200.jpg

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did not mention that the version of .69 French triangle-cavity minies you found is the super-rare version, not the common version. So, I assume you didn't know. Now you do. You've got the "tall-base" version, which is worth several times what the common version is worth.

OP
OP
MidMoTreasure

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I thought I did call them the high-base. I guess I should have been more clear. I know they find the common ones fairly regularly in the east. These tall based ones are sporadic in the Trans-Mississippi. To my knowledge, I am not aware of the more common regular base variety being found in Missouri.

To your knowledge, are they typically associated with Union camps? I know M&M attributes them to both armies, and Thomas has them lumped with the Confederate bullets. I guess either side could have imported them from France.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My buddy has found a couple in the Antietam area....rare for us. Good luck on your camp hunting :icon_thumright:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hunt was a while back, but I never got around to posting pictures. My partner and I were researching possible locations for a Fremont-era early war Yankee camp in the area and we had a pretty decent location pegged. We got boots on the ground and started sweeping the best looking terrain of the area. After a few hours, we were coming up nearly blank with a few shot pistol balls.

We move to the steeper, north sloping area and my friend hits on some mid-1900’s silver (half dollar and a dime if I recall). Our spirits perk up a bit, as we are both ok with coinshooting at this point. I get a 12-37 signal on my CTX and cut the plug, hoping to find an Indian cent or the elusive minie bullet. I see the white oxidized lead but notice that the bullet looks a little different. After brushing the dirt away, I had found a triangle-high-based .69 bullet that we call “French triangles.” I ran over to my partner and flopped it in his glove. Suddenly, silver coins were off the menu and we proceeded to hit the area low and slow. It wasn’t long until he had uncovered his first ever French triangle.

Now, up to this point, I have found five of the French triangles before and all of them were associated with early-war Yankee camps. The most I had ever found in one spot was 3. They are fairly rare bullet in Missouri. We were completely amazed to see so many of them get under our coils at this spot. The site also gave up .69 and .58 minies along with various pistol bullets.

We ended up with 35 French triangles between us. I found 10 in one hole alone (and a 10-count hole of .69 minies). We only found one button, a plain flat button. Based on the lack of other brass stuff or iron campsite items, my partner believes this was a picket spot. That means the main camp is still waiting out there somewhere for us to find.

View attachment 1804895

View attachment 1804896

Forget the bullets ' "like" That Firetruck is WAY! cooler .:dontknow:

Really tho I green but proud of yous guys as that's a huge score anywhere but in MO or here in N GA , I have never dug one .
Good Day.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did not mention that the version of .69 French triangle-cavity minies you found is the super-rare version, not the common version. So, I assume you didn't know. Now you do. You've got the "tall-base" version, which is worth several times what the common version is worth.

That even made me smile .

Now I saying 'Banner Find' as soon as I look these things up ..:icon_thumright:

Just blew them up ,well 1 page but the patina is awesome , I see no digger dings , sweet details on the bullets , Grade A in condition (from what I see) BIG+ Yr friend saved more .8-)

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did not blow up the picture , but looking closer ,One can see the tall base beautifully .
G, EVE

OP
OP
MidMoTreasure

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Davers. I will snap a better photo tomorrow of just the .69 tall-base triangles. Good hunting, and I hope you dig some triangles soon.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Davers. I will snap a better photo tomorrow of just the .69 tall-base triangles. Good hunting, and I hope you dig some triangles soon.

Or see a dark Mile or 2 wide one fly over my house , Ill take either experience .:alien:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread