Civil War Battles and Skirmishes Book

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I remember finding a series of books that listed every battle, skirmish and campaign during the Civil War with some details about date, army strength, casualties, etc. If I remember right they were printed in the 1920's but the original publication date could have easily been earlier than that. What interested me so much about these books was that they listed even the smallest skirmishes which I thought was so cool because I was able to follow my ancestors through each engagement. I could be wrong about some of the details since it was 30 years ago. Lately I've been thinking about those books again and would love to find them but I haven't had much luck so far. I'm hoping that someone here can help. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever used the site "ABE" books? They have many old and out of print books. you may be able to find a copy there.

OP
OP
J

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I have used AbeBooks but couldn't find what I was looking for. I actually did find it with some more research, though. If anyone is interested, the title is "When and Where We Met Each Other, On Shore and Afloat: Battles, Engagements, Actions, Skirmishes, and Expeditions During the Civil War 1861-1866" by Theodore D Strickler.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it have been the official records? It s a series of books from the late 1800's.
The Civil War atlas is my go to book for battles.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The official records of the war of the rebellion almost 100 volumes, Chronicles every battle recorded during the war, plus maps, sletches etc by the original authors. You can have no better research tool unless you get into the individual regimetal histories. There is such detail in these volumes that you can pinpoint troop positions, camps, lines of march, bivoac's etc etc.

Best part is, they are now online especially the Maps.
This link should help you it involves actions in My area around Martisburg Wva but you ca locate any jurisdiction....good luck!

https://books.google.com/books?id=a...fficial+records+war+of+the+rebellion+cavalry+

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The official records of the war of the rebellion almost 100 volumes, Chronicles every battle recorded during the war, plus maps, sletches etc by the original authors. You can have no better research tool unless you get into the individual regimetal histories. There is such detail in these volumes that you can pinpoint troop positions, camps, lines of march, bivoac's etc etc.

Best part is, they are now online especially the Maps.
This link should help you it involves actions in My area around Martisburg Wva but you ca locate any jurisdiction....good luck!

https://books.google.com/books?id=a...fficial+records+war+of+the+rebellion+cavalry+

Friend of mine had an original set. Great research tool and just plain interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread