Maybe a Nipple protector. HELP

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon everyone, I am new to the Civil War page. I am hoping that someone here could help me identify this piece I found yesterday. It is hard to describe, but it resembles a nipple protector. Thanks for looking at this item and all help is appreciated. civil war item.jpg protector bottom side.jpg protector other end.jpg square ends protector.jpg

Upvote 0

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a nipple protector, and it is. They were manufactured and made buy soldiers out of a lead bullet. When I was young I did Civil war reenacting. For my Union soldier impresion I used a factory one for my 1861 Springfield. For my Cofederate impresion I made one out of a 577 mini bullet for my Enfield.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuff call there man.

It could be ???

OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone for replying. I just wanted to bring something to light. The thing I found is open on both ends. It seems to me that the nipple protectors are only open on one end and this one is definitely made out of brass. Troutbum, do you have a picture of the factory ones you mentioned?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon everyone, I am new to the Civil War page. I am hoping that someone here could help me identify this piece I found yesterday. It is hard to describe, but it resembles a nipple protector. Thanks for looking at this item and all help is appreciated. View attachment 1872165 View attachment 1872166 View attachment 1872167 View attachment 1872168
Part of a door lock. You'd have a square rod that is partially threaded through the square hole that the knobs would go on. I think Yale made some, and most I have are no names. They took a "skeleton key".

OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for replying. I was kinda thinking part to a lock myself. I have seen some of the older door mechanisms that had the square rod that went allthe way through. From one handle to the other. Boogeyman, thanks for the confirmation.

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just read that it has a hole going trough it. If thats the case it's not a nipple protector. Probably is some piece of a lock.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the hole the same size on both sides?
is there any sign of a small ball on the inside
reminds me of a ratchet wrench part
brady

OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bradyboy, There is no sign of a ball or where a ball may have been. Just a nice square hole all the way through the piece. Thank for your interest.

Buff

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2020
Olive Branch
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alan, here's what you have. I thought they were some sort of tension device for a while but it is part of a door lock. doorlock.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was expecting to see one of those aluminum foil "pasties" .

:/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alan Payne

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much Buff for the exquisite picture of the item I found. Definitely Solved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread