Best Civil War history book for beginners?

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many, many books about the Civil War but, to me the best work would be the Ken Burns Civil War documentary. It is a 9 part series and can be viewed on different sites like PBS.org and Amazon Prime.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Bruce Catton Civil War Trilogy - "Never Call Retreat", "Terrible Swift Sword", "The Coming Fury". It was Catton's book "A Stillness at Appomattox" that hooked me!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Both recommendations are good. Bill O’Reilly’s “Legends and Lies” series of books has one about the Civil War. Relatively short but an easy read with many interesting stories which are very short.

For me, the CW history is as intriguing as metal detecting. I am always amazed by the resilience and bravery of all those combatants. What an unfathomable tragedy.
dts

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th Un-Civil War, by Scruggs
while you're at it look at Southernheritage411.com
It's by Southern people, ie the other books called "the loosers".

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sherman's march to the sea was "total war". In other words, he killed civilians and burned civilian homes, businesses. Took everything, pillaged and raped the people and Southern Land.
Lee fought a Christian War. Lee had soldiers shot for rape, stealing and doing non-war actions.
Like I say, books that tell and glorify the "Un-Civil War",were mostly written by Northern's.
I read an interview of 100 black,free slaves, taken place in Montgomery,AL., in the year 1900.
2 out of the 100 said they were mistreated. One man had scars on his back. "My master mistreated his slaves, and his Own Family; he was not a Christian."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread