War between the States relics for sale....

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I attended a very cool reenactment here in Florida and purchased this. I used to think these were frauds like the "glass looking" arrowheads in gift shops etc.

BUT, after seeing the endless finds on here, I question if real or not. So for $20, I was like screw it, cool piece either way to display. Back in the early 90's as a kid I got a relic collection thing with some various items in the case and back then I wouldn't be surprised if was real as you probably could just metal detect the park back then lol.

Anyway, my question is, REAL? And has anyone heard of the certificate of authenticity etc? I can't find much info on the COA "authority" or who issues these etc.

Thanks for any info, as I have come to realize I will never find anything here in Florida between the endless "pro-rust away" laws and lack of activity in my area anyway, ugh!

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know who would need to COA a fired Minie ball......Perhaps certifying that it came from a certain campaign maybe. No reason to doubt what it is though...

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Is it an authentic Civil War era bullet? Most likely.

Does the guarantee state that this bullet was found on the The Battle of the Wilderness battle site? This was fought May 5—7, 1864.

I have a few buddies in the south that have found many civil war bullets and virtually all of their bullets they had found were misshaped from being fired. I think the dropped bullets which are NOT misshaped may be scarcer but not rare. I may be wrong about that, its just a gut feel based on my experiences, which are limited.

I am sure there are many on the forum who have more first hand experience who will chime in.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kind of a cool purchase.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say the bullet is 100% authentic. COA's are really worth the powder to blow them to ... Anyway, unless you have a note whatever signed by one of the "biggies" in whichever collecting community you are working with, forget coa's. They really don't anything to the value.

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you everyone for the replies! I feel better about it being more likely an authentic relic. One last question that I always get mixed up to which I could google, but mixed results there too. 3 rings were Union, but often used by Confederates as well if I am not mistaken or was it the other way around?? And what caliber are those and the general rifle that would have fired it?

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two ring, three ring bullets were used by both sides. Most common calibers were .54,.58 and .69. But there were several other calibers in use during the conflict. In the beginning most guns were smoothbore but the invention of the rifled musket increased accuracy. Then the carbine came along with metallic cartridges. This is the Readers Digest condensed version. I am sure folks here can and hopefully will add to this.
By the way, out of curiosity, what part of Florida are you in?

OP
OP
E

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Two ring, three ring bullets were used by both sides. Most common calibers were .54,.58 and .69. But there were several other calibers in use during the conflict. In the beginning most guns were smoothbore but the invention of the rifled musket increased accuracy. Then the carbine came along with metallic cartridges. This is the Readers Digest condensed version. I am sure folks here can and hopefully will add to this.
By the way, out of curiosity, what part of Florida are you in?

Awesome, thank you for the info/reply. I am in Central Florida between Orlando and Sanford basically.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread