Looking for Soldier's accounts of retreat from Mansfield and Pleasant Hill, Louisiana

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an idea but have you been to the museum they have there. It might hold some accounts.

Doubloony

Apr 8, 2021
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to know more of this as well. The only thing I know is from 'before' the engagement, told to me by my grandfather who heard it from his parents, that the Texas soldiers marched to the Sabine River and then crossing over at Logansport and going to Mansfield. They knew this because they went down the old wagon road that runs straight through one of our pastures where the old house used to be, so they probably watched this all take place from the porch...lol As for how things went after the engagements, I wish I knew. I wish I could detect around in the areas of any skirmishes, but have never known any landowners to ask, as I'm on the Texas side and don't know many people from there. I did participate in reenactments there in the 90's, but that grew old rather quickly, and I'd rather be using my Cibola and digging.

TTTeller

Mar 21, 2021
North America/ UK
Primary Interest:
Other
Colleges in most geographic areas generally have items like this. Some are digitized, some are special collections. Just go to their library’s catalog and search. Most will at least have a breakdown of key items included in the diary- like names or places.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to post your request on the American Civil War Forum. They will either know or point you to a website that does know. The site is full of experts on the ACW. I'd give you a link but it is not allowed on TNET for some strange reason. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread