CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are real buttons. They are also likely from the Civil War...but someone here smarter than I will confirm or contradict that. Welcome to TreasureNet.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the forums. Can you give us a precise measurement of the height of the letters in millimeters? The letters should be either 7 or 8 mm tall. Also, can you see any lines at all in the triangular ends of the S?There could be either one line or multiple lines. It could very well be an authentic CSA button.

OP
OP
J

JulieLV

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2021
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are multiple lines in the triangle, maybe 2 or 3? CSA 1.jpg CSA 2.jpg

OP
OP
J

JulieLV

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2021
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the welcome! Got my first MD this past Christmas, and we've been out a 1/2 dozen times before our weather turned to the 105s and up. Looks like we are in a cooling trend soon to can't wait to get back out there!

OP
OP
J

JulieLV

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2021
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, looks like the letters are 7mm. awesome~!:icon_thumleft:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful old relics. Did you have relatives that wore those proudly during the CW or after? Let us know!

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the back picture of the CSA or eagle button? If it is the eagle I would like to see one of the CSA. Do you know anything about the buttons?

OP
OP
J

JulieLV

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2021
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful old relics. Did you have relatives that wore those proudly during the CW or after? Let us know!

Practically most of my family have been Military up to my son who retired from the USMC after 2 Tours of Duty in Iraq. The Civil War saw both sides Union and Confederate due to the area's of where they lived. The buttons were found with with my G, grandmother's family, who's Father had uncle that served ( her great uncle) The first photo is that of my GG Grandfather Simeon, a sheriff in Ohio, and the second is a cover story to a diary of his uncle, who we believe wrote it, but the person who found it, had not confirmed it, although historians in the town believe it to be his. We think, the buttons may have come from my GG Grandmothers sewing box. I'm also adding a photo of a crazy quilt she had made. simeon.jpg John S Ashbrook.jpg granny quilt.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The General Service (eagle) button is a common button. The CSA button, being Confederate is highly desirable and worth some $$. I don't have my book with me at work to tell if the Superior Quality is a known backmark for the CSA button. The question will probably be answered before I get home.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are reproductions. the "Superior Quality" backmark was used during the Civil War but the letters are much thinner and sharper. There is also only 1 circle between the letters and the shank, not two. I look ed at several references to be sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread