67 and 1/2 mini ball?

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
My sons first find ever with his new metal detector and a civil war token I found .sorry about the other stuff it was the only pic of the bullet and token I had.Mabey my gauge needs calibration but I measure this in between 67 and 68 .Is there such a thing or is it a 68 thats worn down.

Attachments

• Picture 009 coins.jpg
    Picture 009 coins.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before making a comparison between the lead balls listed in the archaeological investigation and the guns to which they may have been matched, one must be acquainted with the term “windage.” Properly defined, “windage” is the difference between the diameter of the ball and the diameter of the bore of the gun being fired, or the small space between the ball and the inside of the barrel. There is a common misconception among seasoned historical reenactors and even some professional historians that a .69 cal smoothbore U. S. musket fired a .69 cal. lead ball. In fact, Harold L. Peterson has written that a .69 cal musket would have fired a ball closer to .63 caliber, while the larger .75 caliber British “Brown Bess” would have fired a .69 cal. ball. Mansberger and Stratton, note 20, correctly observed that “the smoothbore muskets in use during this period would have allowed a much wider tolerances in ball size (windage) than contemporary rifles arms (rifles).” Indeed, such tolerances would have varied more or less than the 0.04 standard generally applied by these investigators.

Another reality of the 1830s American military experience was the Army’s reliance on so-called “buck and ball” cartridge ammunition. Simply described, “buck and ball” consisted of one .63 cal. round ball and three .31 cal. buckshot, rolled into a cartridge with approximately 100 grains of gunpowder (per original cartridges and x-ray examination of original cartridges as illustrated in Berekely R. Lewis, “Small Arms and Ammunition in the United States Service,” Publication 4254, Smithsonian Institution.) Dating from its adoption in an order issued by General George Washington on October 6, 1777 prior to the battle of Germantown, “buck and ball” evolved as the standard American Army cartridge for its smoothbore military muskets throughout the War of 1812 and into the Black Hawk War. In fact, “buck and ball” was unique to the American military system, as the armies of Britain and France did not as a rule employ this style of ammunition.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They all have there own tolerance's....I have some .69's that measure .66,.68....All considered .69's.Couldn't have said it better EDDE ;)

OP
OP
W

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
Thanks guys,My son and I were in a field in Windsor Vt. that i think was an encampment next to a man made lake named Runnemede.
I don't think I would have wanted to carry such a heavy weapon very far.The bullet appears to have been dropped,but after reading another post I guess some circumstances could have enabled it to be fired with damaging.Thanks again for the info.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks to me like you;ve got a so called .69 caliber 3 ringer dropped bullet--- a very commonly used civil war style bullet ---if fired they normally have some minor impact damage from landing "hard" even if they just hit dirt -- yours looks very nice (having found at a encampment type site --- a dropped bullet would be a common type item) --I'd say dropped is more likely than fired myself looking at its over all good condition .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread