Words of Wisdom

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
For 6 months I have known about a virgin CSA camp in my area. My main thing is finding where places are supposedly located and logging them to where I can return later and hunt them.
The guy that owns the land this camp is on also owns some land where there was a battle. I called him yesterday to see what time I could talk to him in person and show him what I had discovered in the area of the battle. He said that he is in the process of leveling some fields in the area and explained where the field was that they were working on is. He also informed me that the field where the battle happened had been leveled several years ago... which I kind of suspected.
This morning I drove up to my family's land and passed by the field where the dirtpans were not to far from the field where the CSA camp is. As soon as I saw this my heart sank. I hadn't located the camp yet, just the field it was in but I knew this field is more than likely next to be leveled. The field is also one of the oldest settlements in the area. I called my brother in law and we hooked up to locate the exact location of the camp. By instinct we knew where to start out at. Turns out we were right. Within the first 15 minutes of the hunt my brother in law found a poker chip made from a bullet. Not too far from that he found a small caliber round with grease rings around it..... I am guessing a .32 caliber. Then he found part of a buckle. I found a large caliber round with grease rings that looks real funky. I have seen one like this before, but can't remember where. Hopefully one of the days I will get a book that shows all types of CW bullets so I can learn them. If I had a camera I would post pics.
I am not sure how long we have to hunt this place. A few days or maybe a few weeks. Hopefully this field won't get leveled, but I feel that it will be. I am going to call the owner Monday and see how long we have. Tomorrow morning I have a duck hunt planned with a few friends that has been set for awhile. After the hunt I am going straight up to the camp and get in as much time as I can.
If you know of a place where a camp or battle was and have been putting off hunting it, you might not want to put it off too much. It could be destroyed before you make it back to the place.

Upvote 0

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"If you know of a place where a camp or battle was and have been putting off hunting it, you might not want to put it off too much. It could be destroyed before you make it back to the place."

Sage advice indeed! I'm afraid that because of the ever expanding need for housing and shopping centers, the relic hunter's days are numbered. I came to the party late, but I'm hoping to enjoy what's left before last call.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BamaBill said:
"If you know of a place where a camp or battle was and have been putting off hunting it, you might not want to put it off too much. It could be destroyed before you make it back to the place."

Sage advice indeed! I'm afraid that because of the ever expanding need for housing and shopping centers, the relic hunter's days are numbered. I came to the party late, but I'm hoping to enjoy what's left before last call.
Amen Brother!!!!!

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locations are not eternal. I had a field of dreams that I hunted for more than 10 years. Each time it was plowed, we found lots of stuff that was turned up by the plows. I found two CW Buckles there and one militia buckle. I saw a nice CSA buckle pulled from 10 feet away of where I was hunting. Lots of buttons, coins and other items. The place was an old settlement that was occupied from the War of 1812 till just after the CW. This year I returned to the field and it is gone. Sold to the brick company in the area, it is now just a large hole in the ground full of water where it was dug for its clay. The artifacts will now become part of someone's home. Really a sad thing especially since that field had not slowed in its offerings over all those years.

Hunt it like it was your last day!

Jim

DaChief!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread