Does anyone in the northeast disarm CW artillery shells?

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the last 24 months we have had one man killed and one seriously injured by attempting to disarm CW shells. There was a good article in "North South Trader" about why these explosions are occuring. The reason is quite interesting and relates to the gases formed when the gun powder breaks down under certain conditions in the ground. We have had a man in the Chattanooga area disarm shells but I haven't found a shell since the accidents and don't know if he still disarms them or not. I do know of one other person who, in the past, has disarmed shells. But again I don't know if he still does or not. As to the New England area I have never heard of any one in that area disarming CW shells. Good luck. Disarming is definitely the way to go if possible and makes the shell more valuable.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
After what I've read about it, call authorities and walk away from any potential money. It's not worth someone's life, even if they accept the risk. I wouldn't want to have that on my mind the rest of my life. Aside from that, just having it in your possession, transporting it, etc., is a potential hazard.

johnreb1980

Jan 7, 2008
Plainville,Ga
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and White's MXT 300
They have new systems of deactivating shells now,like remote control drill press. Incajoe pm me and I will get you in touch with some people that can tell you more about it,one being Pete George who wrote a book with Tom Dickey on Civil War artillery shells. Don't call the cops or anything like that ,all they will do is blow it up. Civil War shells will not just go off.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnreb1980 said:
They have new systems of deactivating shells now,like remote control drill press. Incajoe pm me and I will get you in touch with some people that can tell you more about it,one being Pete George who wrote a book with Tom Dickey on Civil War artillery shells. Don't call the cops or anything like that ,all they will do is blow it up. Civil War shells will not just go off.

I agree. It won't go off--just keep it in a cool place to slow down any reaction that might be sped up by heat.

And give johnreb a PM.

Great find.

-Buck

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Try www.relicman.com

Contact Harry Ridgeway if you can't get ahold of Peter George. Harry's in Winchester, VA and can point you in the right direction - not sure if there's anyone who handles shells up north. If you bring in the feds or local authorities, kiss that relic goodbye.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread