Upvote 0

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any site on the river that held a period bridge,ferry, or crossing would be worth checking out. Virginia is full of sites that are yet to be discovered. You need to research and hunt on a hunch. Good Luck!
Mike

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
3121 said:
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows about some Civil war sites in King George county Va. that might might be worth metal detecting perhaps along the Potomac river? What type of relics can one expect to find in King George County Va. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Never hunted in that part of Va, however, since it is across the river from Md, I would imagine you might find a Confederate pickett post or calvary vidette on some high ground near a main road.

floodcitykid

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
brnn53 said:
Any site on the river that held a period bridge,ferry, or crossing would be worth checking out. Virginia is full of sites that are yet to be discovered. You need to research and hunt on a hunch. Good Luck!
Mike
Pretty much what Mike just said.....Start off with some CW map's and find out where the troop's were.I hunt up in the easier crossing's of the Potomac,King George Potomac is pretty vast compared.Do the research and maybe start knocking on door's,talking to the old folk's,farmer's,whom ever and start gaining access.You just never know......Research is the key though.

P.S. If you need a hand Diggin'.....Let me Know ;D Good Luck and HH!!

Keyser Sushi

Aug 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, so I'm about a decade late to this conversation, but I just registered so I could answer this, on the off chance you still give a damn and didn't find this out from someone already -- which I realize probably you have.

But anyway, there actually was a Battle of Mathias Point, there was a Confederate battery at Mathias Point, which is the pokey bit of the county that sticks out into the Potomac. There's a fair amount of residential development in that area now, but you might poke around up there. It's also worth noting that John Wilkes Booth passed through King George on his way to his death just across the Rappahannock in Caroline County, at Port Royal. He was probably smuggled across the Potomac to Mrs. Quesenberry's farm, which is now part of the Navy Base at Dahlgren as far as I know. BUT -- he stopped to get food and medical care from Dr. Richard Henry Stuart at the Cleydael Estate. Most of that land is also now a residential development, but Stuart's house, Cleydael, still stands in the development.

We have a lot of other historical sites around the county, but those are the main civil war-related ones that I know of. Anyway...probably way too late, I know, but I had to chime in since nobody here knew much for you.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could detect in the area , thanks for the info .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread