Can this be cleaned ?

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this along with a silver necklace - minus the clasp in an elementary school playground last week.
The coin is a 50 cent EURO from Spain I think... but I'm stumped as to what the metal makeup of the coin is.? I soaked it in rubbing alcohol but it doesnt do much and now the back of the coin is tarnished with some sort of staining now cant get it off..perhaps it came from the chain when I soaked that in with the coin.? It's been sitting in the alcohol for about 3 or 4 days now.? took it out immediately when i saw the color of the liquid was discolored.? Anyone have any ideas on what the coin is made of and how I can clean this up ...planning to fix the necklace and wear it.?

Rick

Attachments

• 50centEURO.jpg
    50centEURO.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 50centEUROback.jpg
    50centEUROback.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 322
M

mchamby

What an interesting find, I hope someone on here can help you although it looks pretty neat the way it is just needs maybe a little silver weld.
Mchamby

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Try Noxon 7 Metal Polish, you can get it at the brocery store, works great on brass, bronze, tin, aluminum, etc...

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The metal is an alloy called "Nordic Gold." Despite the name, it contains no gold. It's 5% aluminum, 89% copper, 1% tin, 5% zinc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread