shield nickle cleaning help

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
found this at a cw site had to look under a magnifying glass to see what it is, you can see part of the shield on one side and part of the 5 on the other. any ideas on cleaning it would be great. all i have done to it was washed it in water to get the loose dirt off.

Attachments

• th_GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
    th_GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 352

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how clean you want it use ketchup. smear it all around let it sit
a few hours maybe a day. (Both Sides) Then wash it off It will come out nearly original. However I will say if
the coin has any pitting it will show up with the ketchup cleaning. I have tried this it does work.
Or you can go witha rock tumbler.
Let me know if this works for you and how it turned out. I would appreciate it!
Novaman.

OP
OP
bcs123

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
isnt ketchup hard on coins though because of the acid?
i mean this coin will more than likely not be worth much but i still dont wanna destroy it?
and as far as the rock tumbler (never used one) will it smooth out the coin? like completely ware it down smooth?

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was no sure how clean you was wanting it, that's why I suggested the ketchup method.
A rock tumbler with walnut shell or even sand will show semi results. (No Water) It will not ware it down
unless you run it for days. Try a couple hours then check repeat if necessary. I seen on the coins forum
there is other methods of how other TH. Clean their coins. Check it out you might get more ideas there.
If you decide to go with a tumbler H. Freight has them. Nice coin by the way I have not found a shield
nickle in years. Let me know how it works out. On a last note! You could send it in for professional
cleaning (NGC ) or whoever, but that could be spendy. Good Luck.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As worn is that coin is, any cleaning you do to it will likely make it worse. It is what it is.

Here in my area, the nickels come up really red from the soil, so what I do is scrub with a soft toothbrush all the patina off the coin (dark stuff), revealing the red underneath (this is normally a no-no in terms of other coins, like copper ones). Then I use the oil that is already on my fingers naturally to very lightly highlight the high points in the design. It allows me to see the detail as long as I don't get any oil on the low spots.

I would leave tht one alone. Don't wanna do something drastic to your first Shield. It is what it is.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Interesting topic, I just came home with my first ever shield nickel. Its looking pretty cruddy and I cant tell the date yet but would love to find a safe way to clean it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread