Cleaning coins with vinegar

Dirt Pirate

Feb 26, 2009
Northwest Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried, or has an opinion about cleaning coins by soaking them in vinegar? I have used this method in the past and it seems to work well. I ust pour a small amount in a jar and place my coins in there and let them soak for a while. I check them periodically until I like the results take them out and rinse with water and dry. Any thoughts?

Rusty Hammer

Mar 3, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dirt Pirate said:
Has anyone tried, or has an opinion about cleaning coins by soaking them in vinegar? I have used this method in the past and it seems to work well. I ust pour a small amount in a jar and place my coins in there and let them soak for a while. I check them periodically until I like the results take them out and rinse with water and dry. Any thoughts?

Hi,

I found a 1920 Standing Liberty Quarter today. (as it turns out)

I called the local coin shop about this find and how to clean it.

He told me to soak it vingar for a few hours then wash it off with soap and water.

Then soak the other side the same way.

I have no idea how he cleans coins... But, that what he told me to do.

HH
Rusty

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
A cup of white vinegar , a big spoon of dishwashing soap and a couple of small spoons of salt works great for my .44 brass . Just be sure to rinse well and dry .

Rusty Hammer

Mar 3, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
paratrooper said:
A cup of white vinegar , a big spoon of dishwashing soap and a couple of small spoons of salt works great for my .44 brass . Just be sure to rinse well and dry .

Thanks Paratrooper! :thumbsup:

I give it test run next week... White vinegar, dishwashing soap, salt...Humm

I have some .44 brass and some other small items to try too.

I bet that brass shines like the sun!

Thanks again,
Rusty

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Citric acid is a weaker acid.. I prefer it as it doesn't smell as bad and it's cheap.
Comes in small crystals for cooking. :thumbsup:

Vinegar works well to, especially for silver and copper.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Eu_citzen said:
Citric acid is a weaker acid.. I prefer it as it doesn't smell as bad and it's cheap.
Comes in small crystals for cooking. :thumbsup:

Vinegar works well to, especially for silver and copper.

I haven't tried this with coins, but for blackened copper pots and other large copper surfaces, I use a slice of lemon sprinkled with table salt and gently slide the lemon slice across the copper. Cleans the copper in a flash.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread