Crusty Extreme - Need Help

HuntRick64

Aug 19, 2009
Recently dug under a sidewalk and all of my coins were from mid to late 1800's. The indians were extremely corroded. The V nickels were almost as bad, the shield nickel was not that bad, just wore out, and the barber dime was very clean. I have tried hydrogen peroxide, acetone, and olive oil ( individual treatments, not mixed). This one object is the worse. The weight feels like a coin and the size is about the size of a large cent. Any thoughts on getting through this to see if it is actually a coin. It appears that years of salting the sidewalks has leached into the soil and made for some rough cleaning. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• crusty coin.JPG
    crusty coin.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 481

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
HuntRick64 said:
Recently dug under a sidewalk and all of my coins were from mid to late 1800's. The indians were extremely corroded. The V nickels were almost as bad, the shield nickel was not that bad, just wore out, and the barber dime was very clean. I have tried hydrogen peroxide, acetone, and olive oil ( individual treatments, not mixed). This one object is the worse. The weight feels like a coin and the size is about the size of a large cent. Any thoughts on getting through this to see if it is actually a coin. It appears that years of salting the sidewalks has leached into the soil and made for some rough cleaning. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Do what I do and use a rock tumbler with clean washed gravel (aquarium gravel will do or wash it yourself) some water and a lot of dish soap. They will come out looking like new.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be a washer. I once dug an object that was the size of a coin, but extremely corroded like yours. I put it in electrolysis and it turned out to be a washer.
-Swartzie

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd use Electrolysis on such a badly corroded piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread