Cleaning seated dime with moving distilled water

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Sorry for the yellow pics.

I found this dime around thanksgiving and searching the forums I have decided a soak in distilled water for a while should remove the dirt which rinsing could not remove.

I know this could be a very long process and wondered if I could speed it up by circulating the water instead of having a static environment. I was thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner or perhaps suspending the coin in the water and having a small motor pushing the water over the surface. Anyone ever try this to speed up the distilled water soak?

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_3176.JPG
    IMG_3176.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_3177.JPG
    IMG_3177.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_3176.JPG
    IMG_3176.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_3177.JPG
    IMG_3177.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 359

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful dime! What caused the yellow color of the photos?

A great coin cleaning resource: http://www.kersh.com/coin_cleaning.php It notes that Ultrasonic cleaning can be harmful, and should not be utilized by beginner. This site recommends (if you choose to clean further):
Vinegar Great for cleaning silver coins. Do not use on bronze or billon coins. Least harmful, Beginner can do

Here is a quote from: http://www.mycoincollecting.com/collecting/cleaning-coins.html

"CLEANING SILVER COINS

Silver coins, when newly minted, have a bright silvery-white surface. A chemically active metal, silver tends to tone deep brown to black. Circulated silver coins will often have a dull gray appearance, sometimes with a deep gray or black area. Silver coins acquire a blue, green, or violet oil-like tone through tarnishing that can enhance the appearance and desirability of an old silver coin and should not be cleaned.

Many collectors will not buy silver coins that look as if they have been cleaned. When tarnish becomes dark brown or black, and a coin's design is hard to see, there may be some desirability to cleaning it using non-harsh methods, but never with an abrasive paste or cloth.

Clean dark silver coins with ammonia, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, lemon juice or polish remover with aceton. Allow coins to soak in a container of the liquid until any dirt or encrustation has been dislodged.
Air-dry or pat them dry with a soft, clean cloth. Do not rub or polish. This may scratch the surface of the coin and will remove metal from the coin's surface. Any wear or scratches will decrease the value of your coin!

Note that silver coins can oxidize rapidly, especially in the presence of sulfur, such as is found in paper products. Some oxidized toning can be desirable but black silver coins are not. Only store your coins in proper containers, such as 2-inch by 2-inch sulfur-free envelopes available at coin dealers."

I look forward to reading replies on your thread. Please post a follow up photo of your coin after cleaning!

Bookmarked.

:icon_thumright:

S

stefen

Always curious if a water toothpic would work like a miniature water blaster to speed up the process...

Probably would be messy, but couldn't hurt any metallic surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread